Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2009 12:00

Dimension 4300 Memory Upgrade

We recently resolved some malware problems but still find performance speed issues with our machine.  We had previously added to the original factory single 256MB with a 2nd 256MB to total 512MB.  I am now thinking to purchase 2 512MB to max out the memory on the machine.  I found a website OEMPCworld.com showing such memory (specifically chosen for this machine) at $25 each, any reservations? I see most showing at about $50 each.  I don't want to sink a lot of money into this machine because we do plan to replace hopefully in the next year, but we keep running into problems (like installing the McAfee security suite with our change to internet providers).

I've also tried requesting a replacement XP disk through the Dell website, which I found I am allowed 1, but I never received any kind of e-mail confirmation & we haven't received anything & it's been several weeks.  When I try to inquire, the customer sevice people are confused what I'm asking about.  Any suggestions how I can find out the status of this request? Or should I request again?

Jennifer

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2009 12:00

Most XP computers can run reasonbly well with 512 MB, but if you want to give it a shot just be sure the vendor has a good return policy.  Many forum regulars prefer crucial.com, but you're right, this older type of memory does cost more but is guaranteed compatible from Crucial.  I personally don't think your 512 MB is the cause of any issues you are having as we run a number of basic office XP computers with 512 MB and no issues.

As to requesting replacement disks, just try again.  Your computer is rather old and this may make disk replacement an issue. 

January 4th, 2009 13:00

Thanks for the input.  While working with Spywarehammer.com I performed all of the necessary malware fixes as well as reviewed & performed any actions suggested to help the computer speed issues with little help.  We even disabled any unnecessary start-up programs that create problems.  Every time McAfee used to download an update it would dog our system terribly & also we get a virtual memory low warning quite regularly indicating that the system is expanding the virtual memory.

Now that the computer is clean, we proceeded to change from Comcast internet to AT&T & had to reinstall the McAfee security suite, but it gave me a low RAM warning indicating that 512 was required (even though that is what we have).  Now that the computer tries to do automatic updates for McAfee, it is encountering an error.  Memory was my logical first thought.

Jennifer

3.4K Posts

The disk request was placed against the service tag for the machine.  The only complications would be I have moved since then & I was married at the time, so name would be different.

Hello again,

I would suggest that you change your Dell registration for the system before you repete your request for another CD.

3.4K Posts

... Now that the computer is clean, we proceeded to change from Comcast internet to AT&T & had to reinstall the McAfee security suite, but it gave me a low RAM warning indicating that 512 was required (even though that is what we have).  Now that the computer tries to do automatic updates for McAfee, it is encountering an error.  Memory was my logical first thought.

Hello again,

More memory will be a good idea in my opinion.

Just be very careful where you get it, and what part numbers you buy.

McAfee is reported here very often to be very problematic. If you can, I would suggest a move to another AV program like the one from Kaspersky.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Do you trust them with your money?

What is your cost if the memory does not work? Can you return it at no cost?

If you read the upgrade memory page at my site, it will explain why Dell computer require model specific part numbers to insure that the upgrade does not fail and cost you extra cash. The Crucial site has the correct 512MB chips for your system, but the cost is double what you list. It's your choice to take a chance and save $50 bucks, or possibly end up paying more because of return fees and restocking charges. :emotion-55:

As far a the replacement disk ...

I got an email confirmation, and the disk showed up in less than a week. Are you the registered owner of the system that you requested the disk for?

The disk request was placed against the service tag for the machine.  The only complications would be I have moved since then & I was married at the time, so name would be different.

No Events found!