Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 11th, 2012 02:00

Dimension 4500 Audio gone.

Hi all,

I have this Dimension 4500 and it is good, although old.

It was running fine until 2 days ago. I put some music on to play and no sound.

I checked the drivers and found that the audio driver was not present.

I then installed Realtek and, during the last part of the install the computer shut down. The screen was black and nothing.

I swithced it back on a dn it started but still no sound.

I have tried to install realtek, and sound max, but each time I do the computer shuts down suddenly.

So I have no sound and I do not know much about sound cards etc..

Can anyone help me with this problem please and tell me if I can fix it?

Many thanks.

10 Posts

April 13th, 2012 09:00

You got it right.

Thanks for the info. Working perfectly now.

A hundred thousand thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 11th, 2012 04:00

It all depends on what sound device you have.  If you have the standard on the motherboard audio then its SoundMax (Analog Devices). There were several different optional sound cards that were sold with this model and if you have one of those then you have to install the appropriate Turtle Beach or SoundBlaster drivers. 

HERE is the Dell sound driver downloads for the 4500 and Windows XP.  Select the correct one (RealTek is not one of them).

10 Posts

April 11th, 2012 05:00

Hi Fireberd, thanks for the info.

I went on your link and entered my service tag, a nd was told there are no downloads available for this service tag number.

Any more ideas please?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 11th, 2012 15:00

dj92,

First, look at that back of the tower. How many green audio jacks do you see? The reason I am asking is if you see two, that means someone added a PCI sound card to the system.

10 Posts

April 12th, 2012 03:00

It has one jack.

I have just gone to Intel site for the download and at 98% of download it tells me I do not have the rightsound card/board.

If I buy another sound card and install will that work for me?

10 Posts

April 12th, 2012 04:00

This link worked and took me straight to the download, thanks.

When I installed it I got and error message.

Error installing iKernal .exe:(01x0000)

I havr done search for error but the answers are a bit above my head I'm afarid.

Any ideas on this please?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2012 04:00

The link I posted is the direct link to the Analog devices driver for the 4500 and Windows XP.  You don't have to enter any service tag number.  

HERE is the Link Again

The ONLY driver that will work or work correctly is the linked Dell driver.  In fact, in almost every case you must use the Dell driver for proper operation, do not use Non-Dell supplied drivers. as they will either not work or not work correctly..  The motherbord is a Dell custom OEM motherboard and not a direct equivalent to a Retail motherboard, even though it uses an Intel chipset.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 12th, 2012 05:00

That is an Install Shield error.  Install Shield is the "supervisor" program that monitors installations.  One suggestion I saw, for the problem, on a Microsoft site is to RIGHT click the install icon for the driver and then select "Run As Administrator", even if your profile has administrator rights.   Also, make sure you are following the Dell install instructions exactly.

20 Posts

April 12th, 2012 06:00

Try to check the exact model of your computer to verify the exact brand and version of your sound card. This way, you can check it's driver online and you can install it successfully.

10 Posts

April 12th, 2012 06:00

No sorry that did not work either.

Is it worth me doing a re-install of my OS, or a repair?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 13th, 2012 07:00

First, try reinstalling the Dimension 4500 chipset driver, restart when done. Then try to load the onboard AD1982 AC97 audio driver.

No Events found!