Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2013 04:00

Dimension 4550

I have a WD Caviar Blue hard drive, I bought and added to my optiplex gx240  to increase memory. My question is Can I use the drive to replace the harddrive in the Dimensions 4550? My god I tried EMAIL tech support for dell and they dont have one for my Dimensions 4550. I swear I just dont get why any cant be simple anymore. IN THE SIMPLEST TERMS I CAN THINK OF. I have a wd caviar blue hard drive model WD3200KSRTL SATA 320GB DESK TOP HARD DRIVE. Will it work in my Dim 4550 as a replacement hard drive. And if it is a good replacement how can I wipe it and instll win xp. Please help I lose patience quickly with holding on a phone and sites that dont keep things simple.

1.5K Posts

March 8th, 2013 06:00

Hi warsteiner ,

Welcome to the community.

We truly regret the inconvenience that has been caused to you.

I would like to inform you that Dimension 4550 uses the old technology called IDE to connect the harddrive. I have checked there is no Sata connector that is available on your motherboard to connect this Sata harddrive on your Dimension 4550.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 8th, 2013 08:00

My question is Can I use the drive to replace the harddrive in the Dimensions 4550?

Yes, you can use it but you will need to install a third-party SATA card like I did in my 4550. For what it's worth, my very first post here, way back in 2005, concerned using a Syba 150R in a 4550.

This is the model I used; you may have to reflash the BIOS with a file from Silicon Image, which makes the chipset. You will also need a SATA data cable and a Molex-to-SATA power adapter.

No Events found!