Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2010 10:00

Dimension 4600 / Axel3d GeForce 7950 GT 512MB AGP: incompatable?

Problem: Upgrading from NVidia GeForce 5200 (256mb AGP) to Axel3d GeForce 7950 GT (512mb AGP) getting *no signal* on monitor at all. Upgraded to 650w PSU just for this card. I have tried MANY things. No change.

-old card still works and has same voltage registers (notches) in card as the new card

-new card *does* work in an older 'KMD Ultra' machine that has a 4x AGP slot.

-yes, I attached the required molex connector to the graphics card

-Bios (A12) and chipset are up to date

-tried all manner of removing/ pre-installing graphics drivers. Not convinced this is even an effective route, as drivers shouldn't matter prior to system post. Regardless, no effect.

-This mobo (02Y832) does not have onboard graphics, but have tried setting bios: graphics adapter to both/ either auto or agp, no effect

-fan on card does power

-RMA'd (returned) original card to vendor, got replacement, no change

-some other (old, as is my system and the card) forums have said this could be a dell bios issue? Does anyone have links to an alternate bios for this system I could try?

Running Win XP SP3, 1.25GB ram, 2.4 GHz Intel P4 (Dell Dimension 4600)

Links:

the problem card: http://www.amazon.com/Axle3D-Nvidia-GeForce-256-Bit-S-Video/dp/B002Q62VYO/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I38UJTQPO4LSF7&colid=GWV4I02NP2GM

the more than adequate power supply upgrade: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339024&cm_re=650-_-17-339-024-_-Product

3 Posts

June 7th, 2010 10:00

I've also found there is a program called 'NiBiTor' for editing the bios of your NVidia graphics card... wondering if I could use this in any way (via editing it when in the old 4x agp machine) to make the card work with the Dell. Wouldn't know where to start though, esp since I'm not really sure about the nature of the incompatibility...

No Events found!