Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2009 22:00

Dimension 4600 Too Hot

I have a dimension 4600 that I discovered at my town recycling center and I constantly upgrade it with "new" parts from the recycling center. It's currents specs are

3GB's of RAM (two 1GB chips and two 512mb's)

ATI All in wonder 9800 Pro 128mb Graphics card (AGP)

Radeon 9200 128mb Graphics Card (PCI)

WUSB54G wireless card

Stock Seagate ST380011A 80 GB IDE Hard Drive

Seagate ST3160021A 150 GB IDE Hard Drive

Pentium 4 3Ghz HT (Original Processor was a P4 2.8ghz)

3 Port Firewire 400 PCI Card

Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD Burner

NEC ND-1100A DVD Burner

12v Fan Placed under the front cover in front of the back HDD. The fan is spot tied just above the two USB ports and it seems to not be doing much.

When I recently replaced my Sapphire Radeon 9000 Pro for the AIW 9800 pro, I removed my PCI linksys wireless card because the PC was just too hot. I added the fan over the two outside USB ports, and under the plastic shell, just around the piece that holds the dell logo. I also just upgraded the 2.8ghz P4 to a 3Ghz P4HT, but I doubt the new processor is much hotter than old one. Just by having the PC on, the only sensors on the computer, the HDD's, are at around 40 degrees Celsius. When I am using the computer heavily, the drives are around 50C. I need to cool the PC down, but I am unsure how. It's running XP pro on the 80GB drive, and Vista Ultimate (Performance Rating 4.1) on a 50GB partition of the 150 GB drive. The air coming out of the fans feels like the air coming from a toaster. I am afraid that the excessive heat will cause parts to die or kill the computer's performance.

295 Posts

July 26th, 2009 22:00

Great Idea about the recycling center! Never thought of that. I have a 4000 that I saved from the dumpster. Did you have to put a bigger power supply in for the video card? About the heat do you have a certain area. Sounds like you do not have a back fan? You need the air movement out the back for the heat?

60 Posts

July 27th, 2009 10:00

my friend had a overheating problem with his old computer, took the side off and on hot days directed a fan into it.

13 Posts

July 27th, 2009 10:00

Luckily, I did not have to change the stock 250w PSU to accommodate the new graphics card. The only fan in the PC was behind the processor and enclosed in a green duct. I also added a small fan in the front of the PC behind the plastic cover that removes hot air from around the HDD's. Unfortunately, I don't notice a big difference in the temps of the hard drives. This model only have a Hard Drive temperature sensor. If I put my hand behind the main fan or behind the PSU fan, it feels as if the air were coming out of an oven. I was thinking that there maybe a tiny amount of space somewhere in the case where I could fit the fan. I did find one small spot to put it, and then I'd need to cut a hole in the side of the case. At idle, the main HDD with XP is over 40c, which is a little to hot. I need some way to cool down the PC a little more.

No Events found!