Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2009 08:00

Dimension 4600 hard-drive (no boot device available) failure

I'm trying to replace my hdd on my dell dimension 4600 series computer. The computer was working fine.

I took the original 80gb hdd with xp os on it and replaced with my 80gb from another with xp os in it.

When I attached the new drive I get the error: "No boot device available - strike F1 key to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"

I then attached the original drive and go the same error. Finally after looking the setup utility I hit the Escape key with

original hdd in and it booted into windows which I thought was odd.

I reset the BIOS to see if this would help and set all primary and secondary devices to "auto".

Now with either drive attached, I get the same error: no boot device available. Also when I attach the CDRom drive,

that drive is not detected either.

update:

I managed to get the drives installed as I figured out the BIOS finally.

Now I just have no audio as I need adi 1980 audio controller drivers. also wondering if i need chipset drivers.

runs fine, just no sound.

April 28th, 2009 15:00

I'm having the same problem with a Dimension 4600.

I tried a new HD and new RAM, but no solution.

May 4th, 2009 21:00

I figured out how to do it. Atleast with the HDD. You have to go into the BIOS and change it so that it sees the new HDD. It is not plug and play. You have to make the change yourself. As far as the RAM you'll have to check for compatibility. I tried using high performance gaming ram in this motherboard and it didn't work.

No Events found!