Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2013 14:00

Dimension 4700 Diagnostic Light Pattern Not In Manual

I've been having difficulty booting up my Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On two different occasions that it hasn't, I've checked the diagnostic lights (A,B,C,D) on the back panel, but I can't find the pattern they display, in the manual.

My inquiry is: What problem would these two patterns indicate?

At one time they were: A, C, D = Green, B = Yellow.

A different time they were: A, D = Green, B, C = Yellow.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 28th, 2013 15:00

I've been having difficulty booting up my Dell Dimension 4700 desktop computer. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. On two different occasions that it hasn't, I've checked the diagnostic lights (A,B,C,D) on the back panel, but I can't find the pattern they display, in the manual.

My inquiry is: What problem would these two patterns indicate?

At one time they were: A, C, D = Green, B = Yellow.

A different time they were: A, D = Green, B, C = Yellow.

Techtra

G.G.G.Y. indicates another failure:

Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive 
If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to make sure it is functioning properly.

It could also indicate a motherboard/hard drive issue.

G.G.Y.Y.  indicates a possible expansion card failure has occurred.

Determine if a conflict exists by removing a card (not a graphics card) and restarting the computer.
If the problem persists, reinstall the card that you removed, remove a different card, and then restart the computer.
Repeat this process for each card. If the computer starts normally, troubleshoot the last card removed.

Also, check the colour of the power button LED and if it is solid, or blinking.

Check the number of 'Beeps' given.

For more information, you can find the Dimension 4700 service manual and troubleshooter, here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-4700_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Techtra

Sorry about that, my bad. :emotion-10:

What about the power button LED's and are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

4 Posts

It's not G,G,G,Y, or G, G, Y, Y, though, it's G, Y, G, G, and G, Y, Y, G.

4 Posts

April 28th, 2013 16:00

No problem. : )

My desktop's been giving me grief for quite a while and I'm stressed.

The LED I think was Amber with the first configuration and Green with the second (or vice-versa), but nothing displays on screen. It beeped once a while ago, but I couldn't get what the beep-patten was, and it's not doing it anymore.

I think I know what I have to do to totally fix the desktop, I was just curious if there were additional issues (whatever the lights are indicating) that I'd also have to address...

4 Posts

Whoa.

I had actually already done quite a bit with the motherboad. Tested the memory cards (unplugging, replugging) unplugged/replugged a couple other things, did something with a row of pins and did the "unplug the power and hold the button for 15/20 seconds" thing (not in this order. Just listing things off). Sometimes the computer does come on like normal, so I don't know that anything has died. What next I'm going to try is to repair my Windows with the XP Installation CD (I found a step-by-step guide on how to do so, and this was recommended to me by my Dad, who really knows computers). I just thought I'd check out the light-info, first, before I did that.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Techtra

Was the light, Blinking or Solid?

First check that all the power and data cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died.

Bev.

No Events found!