Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 20th, 2009 18:00

Dimension 4700 PSU replacement (same unit) results in 2 short beeps at startup...

Which I'm to understand is a "recoverable error" which explains why there's only the options to "Press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup".  But what's the error?  Nothing showing in the Bios log.  Everything works, and Windows boots like normal.  But now anytime I restart or cold boot, I get two beeps and the message to press F1 or F2. (Diagnostic lights show possible disk failure as I removed the floppy drive a time ago... the power to the drive is "off" in bios so that windows still boots, otherwise it would be perpetually stuck there).

I replaced the PSU with the exact same model... not wanting to take any chances.  I didn't order from Dell directly, but it is the same Dell part number.  I used to get two beeps and those messages after doing anything major inside the case: swapping hard drives, changing ram, putting in a new card, etc... but usually after the first restart afterwards, the issue went away.  Now it's there for good?  How does it even know the PSU has been changed?  Does BIOS somehow intuitively know the serial number is different and is now permanantely angry with me?

I'd like a "fix" for this as it's just annoying.  Not as annoying as the fan bearing noise I'd been putting up with before the replacement, but annoying.  Plus I have to stick around to press F1 in order to successfully restart whereas I got to run away and hide before.  Small price to pay for silence... except there's those infernal beeps now.

11 Posts

January 20th, 2009 18:00

Nevermind... reset back to bios defaults and the issue went away...

by went away I mean it realized I'd disloged the ide cable for the dvd-burner.  So I plugged it in... THEN the beeps went away.

No Events found!