Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Dimension 4700c "Keyboard Failure" in BIOS

Hello all,

For the past few days, I've been trying to boot up my computer and it has been taking me into BIOS and telling me to repair Windows or just continue normally. I would select to continue normally, however, just before this I get a message which says my BIOS version (A04) and then "Keyboard Failure" directly below this. Thus I am not able to boot into Windows, only into it's safe mode recovery program, where my keyboard actually works. So it only does not work in BIOS. It's a USB Keyboard

Here's what I can verify:

• My keyboard definitely works
  • All USB Ports work
  • I have removed the CMOS battery put back in (didn't work)
  • Windows does not need to be repaired it works fine
  • I've also switched the little jumper between the two headers next to the CMOS battery
  • I am frustrated
  • The computer has no PS/2 port, only a serial port
Thank you all for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 21st, 2012 07:00

If the keyboard is not bad the PS2 port should be disabled and Legacy USB enabled.

The hard drive may be dying and thats why error before windows boots.

6 Posts

February 21st, 2012 15:00

No PS2 port on the 4700c, Hard drive is definitely not dying I can also verify that. I've heard of this problem with other Dell models, but the fix is usually pulling the CMOS battery. Also Legacy USB? what is that.

6 Posts

February 21st, 2012 19:00

Also I think it gave an error because I installed Windows by putting the HDD into another computer and using that to install.

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04 gives keyboard failure even when no keyboard is plugged in.

No Events found!