Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2014 16:00

Dimension 490 raid using ctrl and I failure

Hi I cannot access the raid manager whilst booting on 490, I read that like say Adaptec I should be able to press ctrl and I (eye) which should allow me to manage, add, delete and create raid configurations via that facility, I am unable to do this, I have pressed the hotkey just after the dell post screen disappears, and so on, is there a knack to this? thanks in advance. I am trying to se up raid 0 set up using 2 drives, in the bios the sata raid is set to Raid on, all drives are seen by bios etc. Latest bios A08 using Seagate 500 pipeline drives

6.4K Posts

June 4th, 2014 18:00

I can't find a listing for a Dimension 490, but I can tell you how most of the older Dimensions work for this feature.  When the computer is booted, and following the self test, you should see a screen giving a status of the hard drives.  If you have a RAID already, it gives the status of the component drives of the RAID.  To reach the RAID configuration screen, you must press CTRL and i during the time this status screen is visible on your display.  Only then will the keys take you to the RAID configuration page.

One other condition must be met, and that is, there must be two hard drives that are eligible to be used for RAID drives attached to the controller.  If only one drive is attached to the controller, CTRL i is disabled.

3 Posts

June 5th, 2014 11:00

Hi Jackshack And thank you for your quick reply, Your solution solved the issue, I have had some experience in the past with usually adapted raid which does not have similar restrictions, SO for anyone else and there seems to be quite a few with similar issues, google search, I removed the drives, which were part of a raid set up on another card, wiped them completed using the original card, set them as single drives, then formatted them in another xp machine, fitted into 490 and hey presto the ctrl I option appeared as you suggested, thanks again and I knew you would have the solution. Have a great afternoon there.

6.4K Posts

June 5th, 2014 20:00

You're very welcome, I'm glad I could help.  A very good day to you.

No Events found!