Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 9th, 2006 15:00

Dimension 5000. Power Supply Problems

When I press the ON button all I get is a blinking amber light (No diagnostic lights). I've unplugged all external devices leaving only the power lead connected, pressed ON and still just a blinking amber light. I understand that this points towards a power supply problem. I've not yet disconnected internal devices but I have searched DELLs website for further information on my PSU but cannot find any. What I want to know is whether this PSU is a standard ATX (??) unit i.e. can I buy it from anywhere or is it bespoke to a DELL machine?  DELL "technical" tell me it is part number CPL-C5201 but I cannot find anything on DELLs website when I search on this code. The PSU has a sticky label that says its a model N305P-00, Ref No NPS-305CB A Rev 01. It's a 305w unit. Can anyone offer any advise on where to find a data sheet or indeed tell me whether any other types are compatible?

2K Posts

November 9th, 2006 16:00

Dell has used proprietary and standard pinouts, I don't know where 5000 falls in that spectrum (others here do so check back).

Websites that sell replacement power supplies and ATX-Dell adapters will often list which models they apply to.  Google.

If you have an ATX supply, check the wire colors and their placement in the connector (the colors are standard) against the 5000.  If every wire color is in the same place on both connectors, they are compatible.  If not, the adapter costs about $12.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 9th, 2006 16:00

DYNASTY34F

The D-5000 systems use a standard ATX power supply with a 24-pin main motherboard power connector.

If your computer is not under warranty, you can buy a replacement from Dell by calling Dell Spare Parts @ 1-800-357-3355 option 4, M-F 7 to 7 CDT and have the system's "Service Tag" handy.

or you can use one of the following 24-pin or 20+4-pin PSU,

Bev.

Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

No Events found!