Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 14th, 2008 20:00

Dimension 5150/E510

I was referred to the site because I have been getting a blue error screen as my computer boots up and I haven't been able to use it. PLEASE HELP.

I'm not very computer savvy and don't really have the funds to have it looked at by anyone. Also, my warranty has expired, so I can't ask Dell to repair it. If anyone can help, please do.

This is the error message I see on my screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error scree, reset your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remover or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005), 0x00000000, 0xBA5077C8, 0xVA5074C4)

Beginning dump of physcial memory

Physical memory dump complete

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for future assistance. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 14th, 2008 21:00

First, the "General Hardware" would have been a more appropriate forum section for your issue. 

However, the first thing to do is run a complete hardware diagnostic.  When you first boot up your PC press the F12 key to enter the Dell diagnostic partition on the hard drive and run a complete set of diagnostics, to determine if the hardware is OK. 

One of the options noted in the error display is the F8 key to get to a menu screen and then select "safe mode".  Have you tried that and will Windows startup in Safe Mode? 

If there are Windows or other software/driver issues, there is also a Dell recovery partition on the hard drive on your computer, CTRL/F11 at boot up that will access the Dell recovery partition and allow you to restore (reload) the PC to the original power up condition, and is the easiest way to completely reinstall, if that is what is needed.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2008 18:00

I'm sorry for putting this thread in the wrong area.

I will definately do what you suggested. I actually ran the diagnostics yesterday, but I wrote the message down and forgot it at home.

To answer your question about safemode, yes. My comupter will work in safe mode, but once I try to run the computer normally, the blue sceen appears again.

I have a 4G portable hardrive. I will most likely back up everything and restore the computer as you suggested. Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions. 

4 Posts

August 18th, 2008 19:00

Ok, so I rand a complete  hardware diagnostic on my comp. these are the results it gave, I don't really know what it means.

DRIVE 0: ST3160023AS - Pass

DRIVE 1: No device

DRIVE 2: HL-DT-ST DVD+/- RW GWA4164B - Diagnostics not supported

DRIVE 3: No device

Test Complete.

Can anyone tell me if there is an error here and whether or not i need to correct it? 

No Events found!