Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2013 03:00

Dimension 5150 - New Blu Ray Writer not recognised

Hi

I have had a Dimension 5150 since '06 - Bios A05, running XP SP3 still.

It has a new PSU (450W), Graphics (GTS 250), 2.5 GB RAM - it's the 945 model I think (Pentium D 3.0Ghz).

I got a Lite-On iHBS312 SATA drive - I've hooked it up to the spare SATA slot, enabled in bios, and the most I can get the PC to do is recognise the drive as a DVD-RAM drive.  It can play DVDs - and I assume burn to them - but BR comes up as an unrecognised format when I put it in.  I've tried hooking up to a HD display just in case, same issue.  

I tried to disable the IDE drive just to check - same problem.  

No driver software came with it, just a "Nero Essentials" disc - which contains no drivers that I can find, and I can't seem to find any online... 

Anyone have any advice?  Would BIOS update make any difference?

3 Posts

January 20th, 2013 12:00

Thanks mate.  I did some more google-fu before I saw your response, and worked out it was actually because XP doesn't have UDF 2.5 - which is why it couldn't recognise that a BR disc was even in the drive.

I tried your program after that though, and it lauched the movie for about 2 seconds before crashing, but thats probably just because I have it hooked up through VGA instead of HDMI.  I'll test with my TV later, but at least it can actually recognise the discs now! 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 18th, 2013 08:00

You'll need Blu-ray playback software like this: www.arcsoft.com/.../techspec.html

Blu-ray is not a native format for XP, which was released over 11 years ago, long before the Blu-ray standard was even finalized.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 20th, 2013 12:00

Blu-ray and VGA don'et get along for copy protection reasons. (Think 'analog hole.')

For best results with Blu-ray, I suggest Windows 7 or 8. (8 is available for $40 for another week and a half.) The video card and playback software have been focusing on these newer platforms, especially as they have been designed with HD video in mind.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2013 13:00

Gotcha.  Reluctant on Win8 just because it needs 2GB min RAM.. which is practically all I have - I bought a laptop with Vista years ago, and it needed 1GB ram which it had, but ran like an absolute dog - until I upgraded it and doubled the ram.  

Still.. I am shopping for parts for an upgrade anyway, maybe should buy the license now for when I do my new build.. food for thought!   Would prefer Win 7 64, but the cheapest I can find it is at least double the price of a new Win 8 dvd... guess MS really want me on win 8!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 20th, 2013 15:00

2gb is plenty for 32-bit Windows 8, and adequate for 64-bit.

AFAIK you can buy the Win8 upgrade for $40 at the Microsoft online store.

No Events found!