Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 04:00

Dimension 5150 boot failure fuzzy display LED 4 out

Have a non-booting Dimension 5150 with diagnostic LEDs 1,2,3 illuminated. Unplugged power and data cables to CD and HDD based on troubleshooting guide, still no LED 4.

There is a messed up video output that can be vaguely made out as the Dell logo in blue and something about dimension in white, but with lots of lines and white blocks on the display it's all but useless for diagnostic purposes. Maybe the TFT can't handle the resolution or something.

Removed front panel i/o cable (all that's left connected !) and started up by jumpering but same result. Removing RAM and so on generates predictable beep codes. Tried alternative RAM, same result.

PSU tests OK on tester. Front panel switch (when connected) goes green and stays on as expected.

Motherboard has been replaced with recon unit to no effect. I guess that leaves the CPU, the fan and the PSU - thoughts anyone ?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 24th, 2009 05:00

cynicaleng,

Is the PC using the onboard video or an added card?

17 Posts

February 24th, 2009 06:00

Is the PC using the onboard video or an added card?

onboard video.

17 Posts

March 19th, 2009 15:00

well, I guess this one's going on the scrapheap then. With only the CPU the same (new mobo, new PSU, everything else disconnected) the symptoms are the same.

:-(

No Events found!