Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2013 09:00

Dimension 8200 - replacement motherboard/CPU

My old Dimension 8200 has stopped working.  When I try to turn it on, the power light is solid yellow and won't power up.  The diagnostic lights are not lit up at all.  There appears to be power going to the motherboard, as a green light lights up.  In addition, the light on the network card lights up.

I did a search on the forums and found quite a few posts about similar issues, so I tried some of the suggestions.

I tried an old working power supply that I had lying around, but that didn't make any difference.  I know that the old power supply works as I recently removed it from a Dimension 4600.  I also tried removing the CMOS battery, as well as every component.

I think the problem is either with the motherboard or the CPU.  I noticed that if I have it plugged in, if I press on the CPU heatsink slightly, the fan will start spinning.  

Here's the current configuration for the system:

Model: Dimension 8200

CPU: Pentium 4 - 2.8 GHz (SL7EY)

RAM: RDRAM PC800-40ns (2 GB - 4x512MB)

Motherboard: Part # 8G894 (Intel 850) - 400 MHz FSB

Video card: nVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 AGP

Hard drives: Western Digital 80 GB and 320 GB (both IDE)

My questions are as follows:

1. Any suggestions on which I should try replacing first... the motherboard or the CPU?

2. Besides 8G894, is there another part number for a compatible 850 motherboard?

3. Am I able to use an 850E motherboard with all my current components (CPU, RAM, PSU, etc.)?  If so, what part numbers should I be looking for?

I tried searching for answers to these questions in the old threads, but I couldn't find a definitive answer for either question.

I'd like to get this PC working instead of replacing it.  I don't really use it for much beyond using it to download our digital cameras and as a file server, plus it looks like I can get a replacement motherboard on eBay for $25 or less... replacement CPUs for even cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 20th, 2013 10:00

As a suggestion, you can buy an Optiplex GX620 on eBay for under $70 in good working order.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 20th, 2013 10:00

Hi slee1972,

The system board for the Dimension 8200 is a Dell design system board base on the Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (478 pin) processor, and the Intel 850 Tehama Chipset. The system board is designed to add relevant technologies and user-focused features to Dell's product line.  

There are two different system boards offered on the Dimension 8200 system. The differences will be in how the system board is populated.

*Nothing integrated

*Audio integrated.

MLK System Board RevisionOn or about May 6, 2002 the Dell Dimension 8200 system board will transition to a new system board. This new revision will add 533MHz Front Side Bus support to the 8200 system. This new speed will not be reliazed unless a Pentium 4 (Northwood) 533MHz FSB processor is installed.

Note: This system board revision is not considered backwards compatible. Systems sold with older system board were configured with 45ns (PC800) memory dimms. 8200 systems shipping with the new MLK version of the system board will require 40ns (PC800) memory.         

Answer to your question:

1. As the system power button is Solid yellow, it ccould be a memory/motherboard problem. Below is the power button LED status codes for Dimension 8200.

Power
LED
Description
This image displays a blinkling yellow power LED. Blinking Yellow
Initial state of LED at power up. Indicates ICH has power, but the POWER_GOOD signal is not yet active. If LED remains this color, it is probable that the power supply needs to be replaced.
This image displays a steady yellow power LED. Steady Yellow
Second state of the LED at power up. Indicates the POWER_GOOD signal is active. If LED remains this color, it is probable that the power supply is fine. Memory has not been tested yet and is not a factor in this failure.
This image displays a steady green power LED. Steady Green
System is in S0 state, the normal power state of a functioning machine. The BIOS will turn the LED to this state to indicate it has started fetching opcodes.
This image displays a blinking green power LED. Blinking
Green
System is in a low power state.

2. There is a different mother board with part# 3T622, this is an 850E motherboard.

3. 850E motherboard is not compatible with your current system configuration, if you change the system board to 850E, you need to change the processor to Pentium 4 (Northwood) 533MHz FSB, and memory to 40ns (PC800) memory.

Please reply for further quries.

79 Posts

March 20th, 2013 12:00

Thank you for the information.  I think the issue might be with the socket on the motherboard.  I noticed that when I removed the clips holding down the CPU and heatsink that the CPU came out still attached to the heatsink.  If I remember correctly, I should not be able to remove the CPU without raising the socket lever.

Since I already have the 40ns RDRAM, it sounds like I could go with a 850E motherboard and get a new CPU.  That will be good as that will give me some options.  Also, I already have discrete video and sound cards, so I won't need integrated video or sound.

While doing some searching, I found the following motherboard part numbers that seem to be compatible with the 8200... could you please let me know which are 850 or 850E, as well as the differences between them?

8G894 - 850 (currently what's in my PC)

3T622 - 850E (from what you posted above)

1T751

7G535

7E598

Thank you.

79 Posts

March 20th, 2013 12:00

I thought of that, but if I just replace the motherboard and CPU, I'll just end up spending $25-30.  Granted, the GX620 will be much faster.

I might take a look around locally to see if I can find anyone selling an old GX620... as I think the prices on eBay are higher due to shipping costs.

I'm not that concerned about accessing the files on the hard drive, as I can simply put it into an external enclosure and copy the files that I need.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 20th, 2013 13:00

The figure of $70 includes shipping, so it's worth considering. The GX620 is an old system, but it's much more modern than the 8200.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Where Do you live? Not exact house number but What state and city.

Microcenter and others have 320's and 620's for a very reasonable price.

79 Posts

I'm in Wisconsin.  There aren't any Microcenters around here, but I did find a 620 locally on CL.

79 Posts

March 20th, 2013 14:00

It looks like the GX620 can take a Pentium D processor.  What's the fastest processor that it can take?  Are the Pentium Extreme Editions compatible?

BTW, I found someone selling one locally for $50, so I might take a look at it.

EDIT: Ok, a bit of searching revealed that the fastest processor that a GX620 desktop can take is the Pentium D 960 (3.6 GHz, 95W).  It looks like a new heatsink is needed with that CPU.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2013 18:00

Hi slee1972,

Yes, you are right GX620 supports Pentium D 960 processor (3.6 GHz, 95W) and is the fastest processor tested on this system.

Please reply for further help.

No Events found!