Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2010 15:00

Dimension 8250

Hello everyone,

As a regular visitor a few years ago I need help with a 8200 Dimension. Wanting to give this to a family member. When I received the computer It would boot all the way thru  Window XP  with the status bar underneath it. At that point the computer just stops in its tracks. Everything was fine up to that point. I tried in safe mode and it gets to about the same point when it shows the safe mode in each corner. Is the computer telling me the hard drive is bad or is it something else?Any ideas?

Thanks

295 Posts

August 28th, 2010 16:00

Thanks Bev

Yes I have tried all of the normal things.  Solid green light and all lights are green on the back of the computer. Power supply fan works and and cpu fan is good also. Is there any other utilitys to try? Good to hear from you.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 28th, 2010 16:00

Trafficflow 

When this happens, is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check the sequence of the DIAGNOSTIC LIGHTS on the back panel.

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, does the power supply fan work?

Have you tried removing all the peripherals, except the keyboard, mouse and monitor and see if this makes a difference?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 28th, 2010 18:00

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to Utilities partition. Run all the hardware tests including the extended hard drive tests.

If no errors are reported for any hardware tests, reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load. Select "Last known good" from the menu. If that works, shut down normally and reboot normally, and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't help, you may need to boot from your Dell Windows Reinstallation CD and run a Repair/Reinstall. Personal files will be ok, but you will have to reinstall the Windows updates again.

Ron

No Events found!