Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 17th, 2008 20:00

Dimension 9100 - Need a bigger power supply?

My Dimension 9100 is still singing along after all these years and I am going to be getting 2 more gigs of RAM to bring it up to 4 gigs total.  Was just wondering if I need a bigger power supply as it has the stock 375W one in it.

Here is the specs on my pc:

Pentium D 2.8 ghz
Radion X600
Soundblaster 24
ATI TV Tuner (could remove this - usually just use to get VCR footage onto PC)
2 Internal Western Digital hard drives (80 gig and 320 gig)
dvd drive
dvd burning drive
drawing tablet

I dont really game but do use it for photoshop/flash development.  Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 17th, 2008 20:00

guthlaf

No, there is no need to replace the default 375w power supply, to use the additional memory.

Bev.

14 Posts

December 18th, 2008 09:00

Does it look like I may need one with all the stuff that I am running now anyway?  Thanks for the quick reply!

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2008 10:00

Does it look like I may need one with all the stuff that I am running now anyway?

If your system is running smoothly with the PSU which is in it, and all you're upgrading is the RAM, then (as advised already) you don't need a more powerful PSU.

The only reason you might need to consider a more powerful PSU, is if you decide to upgrade any of the more power hungry components - particularly the graphics card :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2008 11:00

Does it look like I may need one with all the stuff that I am running now anyway?  Thanks for the quick reply!

guthlaf

No, there's no need to upgrade the power supply, for your current configuration

If you wish to upgrade the power supply, the 9100 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and a minimum of two SATA power connectors, can be installed.

As the D-9100 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a suitable power supply from a local computer store.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2008 11:00

guthlaf

No, there's no need to upgrade the power supply, for your current configuration

If you wish to upgrade the power supply, the 9100 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and a minimum of two SATA power connectors, can be installed.

As the D-9100 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a suitable power supply from a local computer store.

Bev.

14 Posts

December 18th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for your replies!  And be nice to my graphics card...  ;)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 18th, 2008 20:00

guthlaf

You are welcome.   :emotion-2:

Bev.

14 Posts

January 9th, 2009 19:00

Along the lines of power supplies, I received this on Christmas but dont know if it is strong enough to power my pc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102032

It says 330 watts but my power supply is 375.  I just want something that will give me some time if the power goes out while the computer is up.  Will this work or do i need something more powerful

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2009 20:00

guthlaf

It should work and allow you to shut the computer down 'elegantly', if you have a power failure.

Bev.

No Events found!