Zippy42
2 Iron

Dimension 9150 - Adding a Solid State Drive

I would like to upgrade this great desktop with an SSD. What are my options? I believe that the latest SATA standard is SATA III but I know this is not compatible with the 9150.

Could I gain a SATA III port by adding a PCI card and get the full benefit?

Could I add an SSD that is part of a PCI card and get the full benefit?

Any help gratefully received.

0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: Dimension 9150 - Adding a Solid State Drive

Hi Zippy42,

Dimension 9150 supports SATA II standard using the four onboard SATA ports. The SSD would work at the speed of SATA II if it is connected to the onboard port.

Yes, you will be able to obtain the full benefits of SATA III by adding a PCIe X4 controller card. This will disable the onboard controller and you will need to connect all the devices to the PCIe X4 card.

You can purchase the StarTech.com 4 Port PCI Express SATA III 6Gbps Controller Card from the following link:
http://dell.to/130Y7kQ

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

I have doubts about about an X4 9150 card being a good idea if you also have an X16 video card due to slot bandwidth issues with the 945 P chipset.  DDR2 667 and 1066 mhz fsb also being bottlenecks.

Which processor would also make a huge difference.  The issues would manifest itself as audio and video artifacts and or skipping and freezing if not outright crashing.

Microsoft has some suggestions for SSD

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727880

Windows 7
SSD: defragmentation, SuperFetch, prefetch

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

The Syba SI-PEX40061 is reasonably priced and performs well. I installed one of these in a G41 homebuilt and the primary hard disk Windows Experience Index score jumped from 6.5 to 7.4.

All the 'lag' in responsiveness has disappeared from this PC, which is configured with Windows 7 64-bit, Q9300 CPU, 8gb DDR3 and Kingston 120gb SSD.

0 Kudos
Zippy42
2 Iron

Hi Rajath - Thank you for this information. Is the existing SATA on the Dell Dimension 9150 definitely SATA II. I had heard that it was something called SATA 150 and thus any drive connected to it would only run at SATA I speeds?

If I do go with the PCI Express SATA III card you suggest will what I understand is the TRIM function work and will I be able to boot from an SSD attached to the SATA III PCI card?

I am also a bit confused about the comments made by SpeedStep in this thread.

Your help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hi Zippy42,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. Yes, Dimension 9150 supports Serial ATA II-revision 1.1 specifications. Hence, a SATA III device works at SATA II speed, if connected to the onboard controller.

The information on the TRIM is not provided by the manufacturer. However, it supports Native Command Queuing. If you doubt that the card can affect the performance as per SpeedStep, then you can consider purchasing the card provided by rdunnill, as it has been tested by him.

Please let me know if you need further information.  

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status : http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers : http://dell.to/1hcxG98

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

I am also a bit confused about the comments made by SpeedStep in this thread.

It might not be a good idea to buy such an elaborate card for such an old design.

The Syba I pointed out is inexpensive and boosted the Windows 7 "Experience" from 6.5 to 7.4 on a G41 homebuilt with Q9300 CPU (a much more modern design than the 9150).

You're not going to get a full 7.9 on the Windows Experience no matter what you do. Even my Phenom II 945 with onboard SATA 3 only manages 7.8.

0 Kudos
speedstep
6 Thallium

SATA revision 1.0 - 1.5 Gbit/s - 150 MB/s

SATA revision 2.0 - 3 Gbit/s - 300 MB/s

SATA revision 3.0 - 6 Gbit/s - 600 MB/s

The bus can handle 2 Devices at Sata 2.0 Speed.

Pentium D high end versions top out at 8.5 GB Single Core and Slower Versions do less.

You won't get 6GB speed thru the PCI Bus and at the same time get 8GB thru the X16 video slot AND have anything else run.   Overtaxing the PCI bus causes slowdowns, lockups and otherwise video and audio artifiacts since the video and audio also run on the PCI Bus.   One way around this is to use PCI-E video HDMI Audio which keeps the audio on the X16 bus via an HDMI Monitor.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Zippy42
2 Iron

Apologies but I am getting a bit confused with all the terminology. The card suggested by rddunnill  seems to only have 2 SATA III ports. My Dimension 9150 currently has 3 conventional Hard Drives. I want to replace the "C" drive with an SSD running under SATA III and keep the other 2 conventional Hard Drives for data and backup as applicable.

The PEXSAT34 looks good but if that is going to overload as per SpeedStep then I am lost.

SpeedStep what do you mean by "One way around this is to use PCI-E video HDMI Audio which keeps the audio on the X16 bus via an HDMI Monitor" ?

What is my best way of achieving my requirements?

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Rhenium

You're limited in what you can do with something this old (due to bus issues), and furthermore, you don't need SATA III for ordinary hard drives. That is why I suggested a two-port card, which will easily accommodate an SSD.

For an example of the benefits to be had, an SSD installed in a G41 Q9300 homebuilt that was moved from onboard SATA II to a PCIe-x1 SATA III card had its Windows Experience Index primary hard drive increase from 6.8 to 7.4. In comparison, an ASRock AMD 945 quad-core homebuilt has a 7.8 for that score and an XPS 8500 3570K has the full 7.9.

0 Kudos