Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2009 19:00

Dimension 9150 Intermitten Video Card Issue

I have a Dell Dimension 9150. Sometimes when I turn it on everything works fine. At other times, the #2 & #4 indicators light up at the front of the computer but my monitor does not come on. My computer is on, I can hear the fans working, but the monitor does not come on. According to the dell manual, indicators #2 & #4 indicate a video card issue. Originally I had a Express16 videocard. I replaced the card with another  videocard which I purchased from dell recommended for the 9150 and very similar to the original.

I am considering two options. One is to order a new motherboard from dell. Two is to replace the Express 16 videocard with a PCI videocard and see if that works. So here is my question; will the PCI videocard work or will it produce the same intermitten issue as the Express 16 videocard? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 16th, 2009 05:00

A PCI video card MAY work but since a PCI bus is slower than a PCIeX16 it won't give as good results.   Whether you have the same intermittent problem depends on where the actual problem is in the PC.  If it is strictly in the PCIeX16 I/O bus then a PCI should not have the intermittent problem. 

If you replace the motherbpard only another Dell 9150 motherboard will fit and work.  However, if it gets to that point you really need to consider whether you want to put additional $$ into an "old technology" PC or if you want to put those $$ toward a new PC with new technology.  Same way with installing a PCI Video card.  It may just be that the best option is to live with the intermittent problem until you can buy a new PC.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2009 22:00

Thank you for your reply. You have given me some things to consider. Is there anyway way I would be able to run diagnostics to find out if the issue is strictly in the PPCIeX16 I/O bus? I ran the dell diagnostics but the system passed the test. When it works, it works really well.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 19th, 2009 04:00

With an "intermittent" it's only "bad when it's bad" the rest of the time it's OK.  You can't fix something that is not broke, thus if you run diagnostics when it's "not bad" you will never find a problem.  On an intermittent, a test or diagnostic has to be run many times until it finally fails (and Murphy's Law says it will never fail running diagnostics) and then you can see what or where the problem is.

1 Message

November 12th, 2009 16:00

My 9150 has the exact same intermittent  issues swapped video cards same problems with both cards finally no video output at all. But no trouble lights. This was my favorite computer. Thinking of just junking it. I took it to a PC shop when the video first went away and they reseated the video card and it worked for about ten days.  That cost $35.00. I don't want to put a lot of money in a four year old system.

No Events found!