Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2009 10:00

Dimension 9150 motherboard LED on, computer won't turn on?

Hey guys, i would like to start by thanking you for reading this :P

My brother gave me his computer, a Dell Dimension 9150, and it was just working fine untill i decided to click the stand by button on windows vista...

Ever since that day the computer simply won't turn on no matter what i try to do...

I switched the PSU... this is the 4th PSU that I've tried so i'm guessing it's not a PSU problem...

Now if it was the motherboard why would the LED turn on but nothing else?

I've tried removing all the hardware but the processor and the only time that i get a response is when I switch the CMOS jumper and I reset it, the computer front lights and the LAN adapter blink but that's all the response I've got so far... :/

Is anyone having the same problem or do you guys have any suggestions before i have to trash the computer since Dell makes it hard to find cheap motherboards?

Tnx :D

4 Posts

March 6th, 2009 10:00

Before anyone posts I just found out what the problem was.

Apparently my brother was not careful enough and damaged the front USB 2.0 ports and this was causing like a short circuit and the computer was smart enough to not turn on with this thing going on, now i wonder how i can remove that Port or something mhm :P

Well if dell cleans up their forums this one should be deleted asap (i think i can't delete my own thread can i?)

:D

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 6th, 2009 14:00

Before anyone posts I just found out what the problem was.

Apparently my brother was not careful enough and damaged the front USB 2.0 ports and this was causing like a short circuit and the computer was smart enough to not turn on with this thing going on, now i wonder how i can remove that Port or something mhm :P

Well if dell cleans up their forums this one should be deleted asap (i think i can't delete my own thread can i?)

:D

JpKtO

You can delete the contents of a post, by using the 'Edit' feature, but it takes a moderator to delete the post/thread.

The directions for replacing the front I/O panel, are HERE

A replacement part, can be purchased either from HERE, or from HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2009 15:00

HI JpKto,

I am having the same issue with a Dimension 9100. I have changed the PSu and the Motherboard and the problem is still there. The Front I/O Panel does have a broken USB port on it and I ordered one from dell for $16.00. Just waiting for the part to see if that fixes it. if you enter your service tag number on dell you can download the Service manual for your desktop, it should show you how to replace the I/O Panel.

Njonsey

4 Posts

March 6th, 2009 23:00

Well i manually removed the broken USB port in front and it is working perfectly :P

I guess they didn't make a good job making those USB ports, but since i don't really need it or use it i'm going to keep it like this.

Hope the new front I/O panel works for you :D

Jp

1 Message

May 13th, 2012 06:00

I'm sorry to bump this, but I felt the need to.

I would like to recommend people NOT to buy from impact computers. they are not a reliable company for parts. You can look at their reviews online, I don't know if they used to be more reputable but it seems they do not use quality control or take responsibility for their actions. http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Impact_Computers_Electronics  I personally ordered a part from there after years of having this computer and it came DOA. They charge you a 15% restocking fee and do not pay for shipping. just saying, in case anyone googles why their computer is not working and finds this post. I was silly enough not to look at their reviews. not blaming anyone here for this, just a warning so future people don't waste money/time :)

No Events found!