Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2009 18:00

Dimension E520, DVD-RW Drive is gone.

Hello,

I have been using E520 for a couple of years with Windows XP Pro.

Last week, I noticed that DVD-RW drive does not appear on the file explorer,

and on the Device Manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drive,

this DVD drive "HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N" is marked with ! in a yellow circle.

I downloaded the driver for this drive "HLDS GSA-H31N HH SATA 16X DVD+/-RW" from the customer Support of this Dell's website

but the installation always fails with an error message "None of Optical Disc Dirve".

This is very strange because I never changed any configuration, nor installed any new hardware at all.

I appreciate any help or suggestions to fix this problem because I need to install some new software as soon as possible.

Thank you

- Ryo

4 Posts

March 17th, 2009 04:00

Wow - I was about to open a new thread when I found your problem... I seem to have "lost" my DVD RW too.

In the Device Manager/General/Device Status:- "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28). The system cannot find the file specified. To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

I did the Reinstall Driver routine.  Reported - "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.  The system cannot find the file specified.  If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for drive software."

I followed the links, entered my "Service Tag" and down loaded the Driver from Dell's Webite for the DVD RW - B110.EXE.  When I run the programme an error is displayed "None of Optical Disc Drive".

Reading forums - I followed the suggestion of removing the "Lower Filter" and "Upper Filter" from the specified place in the Registry - hope that this did not break something - a little knowledge can be dangerous.

Thanks for your assistance

Andrew

4 Posts

March 17th, 2009 04:00

My post was a little vague as to the outstanding issue - I was still in shock in finding someone with exactly the same issue after a couple of days of searching and finding nothing.

The DVD RW still not working after all the above action was taken.

Regards

4 Posts

March 18th, 2009 03:00

I think that this is the update that caused the problem

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2009 (KB890830)

4 Posts

March 18th, 2009 03:00

Hi Ryo

Solved my problem and hopefully yours... It was caused by a windows update which I "undid" by using the system restore

1. Go to Start/all Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

2. Click on "Choose a different restore point" & Click Next

3. Look for and select "Install: Windows Update"

4. If not listed, tick "Show restore points older than 5 days"

5. Once you have found the most recent "Install: Windows Update" click Next

6. Let program restore and restart your PC. 

Hopefully you will have the same success.

Regards

Andrew

12 Posts

August 31st, 2009 19:00

Try this:

Click Start - RUN

type in regedit

Look at Hkey_Local_Machine

System

CurrentControlSet

Control_Class

4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFCI-08002BE10318