Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2009 15:00

Dimension E520 will not turn on

I'm working on a friend's Dimension E520. He said that his HP printer stopped working and as he tried to fix the problem, the Dimension E520 just crashed. I brought the computer to my house, and it will not turn on. Nothing. With the unit power plugged in, there is a light on the main board, just above the video card (slot). That's all. Clicking on the power button, I get nothing. Only the light on the MB is on, as long as the computer is plugged in.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 20th, 2009 16:00

renegade431

Check the reading of the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber, or off?

Does the power supply fan run?

What is the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?

The Diagnostic Codes are HERE. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

August 21st, 2009 20:00

Like I said earlier, nothing. I did check to make sure the on/off button was making contact (trying the cheapest problem first), but, the fan does not turn on at all. No lights in the front of the chasis. The light on the MB over the video card is next to a chip that says clock, so, I am assuming the clock on the MB is working, just can't tell time, since the power isn't sending anything to the moniter, lol. That's just my guess. That light (next to the clock chip) works when the computer is plugged up.

Andrew.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 21st, 2009 21:00

renegade431

Andrew.

As the power supply fan does not work, either of the four diagnostic lights and the power button LED is not lite and assuming that you have tried reseating all the power connectors inside the case, then try a different power supply.

The E520 systems does not use Dell proprietary power supply, you can install most standard ATX power supplies with a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector.

As the E520 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed. You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You will need a power supply, with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

August 22nd, 2009 23:00

My first guess was the power supply, but thought with my luck, it would be the mb, but there was no mention of a lightning strike. I have started pricing power supplys, 305 watts, and wanted to make sure someone else who knows this very well can tell me for sure. I have bad luck with 50/50 chances. I have checked all connections, all good, then removed the power supply to see if I can find anything burnt out. Stupid idea, but, had to try. I reconnected the power supply, double checking connections, and, of course, nothing. I was just wondering, if the mb had a light working on it, the clock light, if that meant the mb was still working. Just a thought. Still,  Iwill go with the power supply idea. Thanks for the help. I really needed it. And thanks for the link on your first reply, a lot of great info.

Andrew.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 23rd, 2009 14:00

Andrew.

The small LED on the motherboard is the 'Standby Power Light' [aka Flea Power] to say the motherboard is receiving some power, it does not mean that the power supply or the motherboard has not failed

If you remove the power cord to the PC and hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, it should go out. 

Bev.

No Events found!