Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2009 08:00

Dimension E520

I recently upgraded the hard drive in our E520 from the OEM WD to a Seagate 500 GB drive, I connected the new drive to the same SATA cable the original one was, reinstalled XP and was on my way..then, since there was't anything wrong with the original drive, I added it, just for storage to "port 4", since ports 2&3 are "unusable" on this model, and I am having several issues, first on boot, I get the non raid configuration "press control I" setup, I don't want raid, since there is such a size difference to begin with, I would like to not have this screen on boot if possible, plus I moved a CD/DVD burner to port 5, and about half the time, it doesn't "see" it, at this point, I just disabled that port in the BIOS and went on.

The new HD is on port 00, the OEM CD drive on 1, the old HD on 4, is there an issue with the order here ? any suggestions ?

Thanks !

12 Posts

September 21st, 2009 20:00

Did you make your old HD a slave? You can't have to master HD!

3 Posts

September 21st, 2009 22:00

no definitely did not make it a slave, I just gave it a different SATA port #, even though this PC comes configured with just one drive, Dell wants you to configure it as a RAID, I chose the other option and have been fine since,,,the only other issue is it not recognizing a DVD burner in port 5 sometimes on boot, I have disabled that port in the BIOS so it won't look for it...might possibly be a hardware problem with the DVD drive...but the old OEM drive is still running, I actually share it out to all my PC's so I can store any needed software on it and run/install on whatever client computer.....

12 Posts

September 24th, 2009 19:00

I also have a drive that I can store infor on it so that if I had to reinstall my OS I can put it back together. Did you restore or update the driver on you DVD? You might want to try that.

3 Posts

September 25th, 2009 07:00

I think I either have a bad "Samsung" DVD drive or possibly a SATA cable connection issue, you know how your BIOS will show what devices are on what ports ? This DVD drive will show up part of the time...so I could have a problem with the drive, cable or worse, the SATA port...next time in the case I will reexamine....

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 00:00

how do you access the bios ?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 2nd, 2009 07:00

It's in the Manual.

No Events found!