Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2010 12:00

Dimension E521 RAM error, won't start with new RAM

Hi, I have a Dimension E521 that isn't starting up, and after finding the following link:<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>I was able to find out the problem was the RAM, since the "3" and "4" diagnostic lights were lit up and the beep code was one long, followed by two short....

Seemed simple enough, but now after following every step, from trying all the indivisual sticks on their own in DIMM1, all the way to buying new memory alogether, NOTHING is working. Even with the new ram, I get the same Diagnostic Lights on the front panel, and the same audible beep code suggesting: "Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred."

Is it possible that there is some other underlying issue? Is there anything else I can try? Running out of options, and Really need to get my computer up and running again.

Thanks for ANY help you can give!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

Check to make sure the memory is being installed correctly and fully seated.  There is key and the memory will only go in properly one way and it has to be fully seated in the memory connector slot.    You can also try memory in a different slot, other than slot 1 and see what happens. 

If that doesn't do anything for it, I'm afraid the motherboard was damaged in some way either changing or adding memory.  You can get a replacement motherboard - there are companies that sell refurbished boards - do a google search. Then again, you may want to consider the age of the PC (age in computer technology) and whether it's worth putting any additional money into it.  I have an E510 which is in the same age category and if dies it will not be repaired.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

I have seen problems like this that was caused by the BIOS and resetting the BIOS fixed them.  Give it a try - with the PC powered off, open the case and remove the CR2032 BIOS backup battery for about 10 minutes.  Replace the battery and power on and if you are lucky it will fix the memory recognition problem.

5 Posts

Thanks for the speedy reply! I had just finished writing you a note on your profile! I'll give it a shot right now.

Cheers

5 Posts

February 13th, 2010 13:00

Does it matter whether or not the Power cord is connected? I tried leaving the battery out for about 15 minutes, Powered OFF, but with the power cord connected, and it did no work. I can now try it with the power cord disconnected if you think that will help...

5 Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

Ok, So it didn't work. I tried leaving it plugged in, and unplugged, while leaving the Battery out for about 40 minutes in each case. Still nothing. I just get the same Long beep followed by two short beeps, with the 3 and 4 Diagnostic lights on the front. And the power button LED is green by the way.

Beginning to think that this computer is just shot, and getting very dissapointed.

Is there ANYthing else I can try?

5 Posts

February 13th, 2010 21:00

Whoa, so that actually worked! And strangest of all, it turns out that the reason I was constantly getting the same error message was that DIMM1 slot was the problem. In fact so is DIMM3! So unfortunately I only have two slots to work with now, but at least I am able to use my PC again, and if I just swap my 2gb of PC2-4300 ram for at least PC2-5300 then I might even have decently quick rig again!

Thank you SO much for your help on this today, I really appreciate it.

By the way, what was the final word on using the even faster DDR2 ram in the E521, I believe it was something like PC2 6400 (800mhz) maybe. The manual said something like"when available"...

When I allow Crucial to scan my system though it says the fastest I can use is PC2 5300, so I'm curious if that's the case or whether others have had success using the faster spec.

Cheers!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 14th, 2010 03:00

Slots 1 and 3 (physical position) are a pair and the reason both of them don't work.  Slots 2 and 4 are the other pair.  In most cases, Crucial is correct on what a PC will take.  You can put faster memory in but it is still limited to the speed of the PC's memory bus and if the memory is faster than the memory bus it will only run at the busses speed.

At modern memory speeds it doesn't make too much difference on speeds - a bump up would probably not even be noticed.  My home built will accept 1066Mhz speed memory and I have 800Mhz memory, but for the $$$ I'm not going to upgrade to the pricier 1066Mhz as it wouldn't really make a difference.

8 Posts

April 29th, 2010 10:00

is thread helped me with a similar problem.  thanks guys!

39 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

Crucial memory scan seems to measure the slowest RAM and take that as the "maximum" speed.  To find the actual maximum speed, see the machine specs in the machine manual.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 11:00

@JNagarya1 - why are you responding to a thread that's 3 years old?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 13:00

As this thread is three years old, I am locking it.

Bev.

No Events found!