Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2009 12:00

Dimension XPS Gen 3 and Installing new harddrives from 2 to 3

I have a Dimension XPS Gen 3 and was trying to install a new harddrive this weekend - I know my comp is a bit old (10/2004) but it still runs great.  I currently have two HDs - a 74GB WD and a 160GB WD that came with the computer.  The motherboard has 4 SATA ports but when I put in a new 1.5TB Seagate harddrive, it did not see it at first.  When I moved around the SATA cables and attached the new drive to the "1" SATA port, it read it just fine and I was able to format it and everything but then it did not see the second 160GB drive.  What am I doing wrong.  Do I need a driver update or am I limited to 2 HDs?  The existing HDs were connected to the "0" and "1" SATA ports.  Is there something I need to switch around on the motherboard to activate the "2" and "3" slots (the "3" was not labeled from my initial inspection).

HEEEELP!!!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2009 13:00

MrWizard93

Have you checked in the system setup, that all the SATA ports you are using are enabled [on].

See HERE<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2009 13:00

THANK YOU!!!

I will be checking that when I get home from work today.  I did not check that at all.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2009 04:00

It worked.  That was it exactely.  Thanks for your quick response.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 13th, 2009 12:00

MrWizard93

That's great and I'm pleased to have helped.   :emotion-2:

Bev.

2 Posts

January 16th, 2009 12:00

I am looking for some tech info on how much storage space I can cram in the Gen 3.  I am going to keep my raptors and replace my 400 sata with a seagate 1.5 tb.  I was then going to enclose my 400 sata (external case) and use a external sata connection to main board.  Can this machine except 2tb of hard drives on its sata bus?  ... or am i limited in my storage capacity?

No Events found!