Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2011 21:00

Dimension e510 shuts off and can hear sparking from case.

Well yeah, this problem only started yesterday. I didn't think any of it until I started hearing sparking/shorting inside.

I quickly turned it off and inspected the inside. I found no shorts in the power cables, ide cables, etc. I did find that there were two capacitors located near the cpu that were sort of bloated, open, and had a light brown color coming from them. I'm guess that these caps were those cheap capacitors which were faulty. I further read articles online that Dell computers between 2003 to 2005 had these faulty things, and being that my computer was made in 2004, I'm assuming I got one of the bad bunches. Everything else in the computer except for the motherboard is at least from 06 and up. What should I do?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 14th, 2011 03:00

Replace the motherboard.  I don't think this was a global problem with this model (I have an E510) as we haven't seen many motherboards (reported on this forum) in this model fail.  We have had an exceptionally large number of power supplies fail.  

There were several different part number motherboards used during the production of the E510 and identical 5150.  The last motherboard used is part number 0HJ054 (what I have in mine).

Only another E510/5150 motherboard will install and work in this model, due primarly to the Dell proprietary front panel connector.  There are internet companies that sell used/refurbished motherboards and your least expensive option to get another motherboard.  Do a google search.

12 Posts

November 14th, 2011 05:00

Is it also possible that I could de-solder those capacitors and replace them with new ones with the same specififcations? I know these things can store power, would it be worth it?

12 Posts

November 14th, 2011 05:00

Since you brought up the power supply failures, I did remove my after-market power supply and installed the original one that was in it, and it has yet to spark/shut down on me. I'm going to watch it closely and see if it was that as well. I'll probably end up replacing both the motherboard and power supply, or end up getting a new desktop.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 15th, 2011 03:00

Working on a multi-layer PC board and with SMT can be a challenge.  It requires specialized equipment.  But, as the board ultimately will have to be replaced it won't hurt to try.

12 Posts

November 16th, 2011 17:00

I didn't even consider that. I think I will just buy a new motherboard and power supply unit.

No Events found!