Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2011 06:00

Dimension e521 USB 2.0 not recognized

I have been struggling with this problem for the better part of 8 months now.

I have an E521 with WinXP SP3, and a pile of the most recent security and updates from Microsoft. Likewise, I have the latest drivers for the chipset, CPU, BIOS and all the other updates from Dell. However, in Device manager I have both "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" (i.e. USB 2.0!) and I also have "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" (i.e. USB 1.1).

So here's the problem: regardless of what port I plug a device in to, it shows up in the "USB Root Hub" for the USB 1.1 controller, and thus operates at USB 1.1 speeds. Things like USB HDD, and a USB wireless adapter. Both say "This Device could operate faster if you plugged it into a USB 2.0 port."

When I click the bubble, it shows me all 8 ports under the "Enhanced PCI to USB" etc.

I have tried literally every suggestion found on the internets. Remove the controllers and reboot, only remove the OpenHCD one, only remove the Enhanced one, attempt to update the drivers for the controllers, search the BIOS for "Enable Legacy Support" (which doesn't exist), flash the bios, update any and all device drivers, run the Dell Diagnostics, replace the motherboard (not cheap), verify and swap IRQs, and literally NOTHING has worked.

I'm at my wits end and am seriously contemplating donating the computer to the depths of a local great lake. Any suggestions or help would be GREATLY appreciated.

4 Posts

April 14th, 2011 19:00

I see that the Standard USB controller is sharing an IRQ with another PCI IDE device. I can't seem to get them to STOP sharing. If I remove one or both, they revert back to the same IRQ. Could this be it? I removed all devices in Safe Mode and rebooted. Swapped my sound card from one slot to the other, still no luck. Anyone have ANY idea at all? At this point, I'm ready to switch to HP or Sony. Unbelievably frustrating.

4 Posts

April 14th, 2011 16:00

I just uninstalled everything, swapped out RAM and rebooted. Same scenario.

Then I added a PCI USB 2.0 2-port card and installed the latest drivers, and the same situation. It tells me that my devices can perform faster if I connect it to one of the listed hubs. And when I look at all the hubs, including those my device is plugged in to, the device isn't there (as WinXP believes it's plugged in to a different, and therefore USB 1.1 hub) and shows me all 12 available ports: both the motherboard ports and the add-in card ports.

Please dear-GOD PLEASE someone offer me some suggestions?

4 Posts

April 15th, 2011 18:00

Anything? Anyone?

No Events found!