Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2012 02:00

Disable Power Button Illumination

I have a XPS 625 that I find very difficult to leave on standby or sleep modes in my bedroom because of the extremely bright power buttons.  I've disabled the front panel and fan illumination using the Alienware dashboard but I can't seem to find a way to the power button light off short of actually completely shutting the computer down.  What I would like do is disable its illumination through software understanding that I might be potentially sacrificing useful diagnostic information if I ever had trouble with my computer.  A second option would be to open the system up and manually remove the bulb providing the illumination. 

My problem stems from the fact that I don't know where to go to disable the illumination and the manuals show how to get access to the inside of the system rather than the start button.  If someone who knows how to do this could help me out that would be great otherwise a good hint as to where to start looking would be useful.  I am fairly computer competent and understand how computers and programs operate even though I can't write them myself and I am fairly handy with the hardware and I am comfortable removing or replacing nearly any part along with basic sodering.

3.7K Posts

February 14th, 2012 04:00

I have a XPS 625 that I find very difficult to leave on standby or sleep modes in my bedroom because of the extremely bright power buttons.  I've disabled the front panel and fan illumination using the Alienware dashboard but I can't seem to find a way to the power button light off short of actually completely shutting the computer down.  What I would like do is disable its illumination through software understanding that I might be potentially sacrificing useful diagnostic information if I ever had trouble with my computer.  A second option would be to open the system up and manually remove the bulb providing the illumination. 

My problem stems from the fact that I don't know where to go to disable the illumination and the manuals show how to get access to the inside of the system rather than the start button.  If someone who knows how to do this could help me out that would be great otherwise a good hint as to where to start looking would be useful.  I am fairly computer competent and understand how computers and programs operate even though I can't write them myself and I am fairly handy with the hardware and I am comfortable removing or replacing nearly any part along with basic sodering.

There is nothing you can do to the power light, as the light is also used as a diagnostic warning light, see HERE for your manual.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 14th, 2012 07:00

I'm with you. I too hate the lights on tv's, audio equipment, even clocks in the bedroom. I've placed a tiny piece of electrical tape on tv's etc. ready lights and placed a piece of dark but see thru material on clocks. I prefer turning the computer off  or using Win 7's Hibernation rather than using sleep. Hibernation will turn off all the lights and require a power button push to wake it --a bit slower to wake than Sleep, but faster than Shutdown.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2012 09:00

Put a piece of black electrical tape over the top of the switch then use exacto knife to cut a circle.

No Events found!