Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2016 17:00

Disappointing Performance scores now XPS 8900

I just received and set up with latest Dell and Windows updates my XPS 8900.  8GB RAM, 64 bit, i5-6400 CPU with NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 w/ 2gb dedicated graphics memory and a total of 4GB available graphics memory, running WIN 7 Pro.  

I ran the windows performance score program and was very disappointed with the results.  Processor and memory scores were upper 7 but the graphics was 5.5 and the 1TB hard drive was 5.9.  My 2 year old Dell 8700 has much higher scores.  Something is wrong I fear.

This seems low to me.  Does anyone know if these mediocre scores are to be expected on this system?

25 Posts

January 4th, 2016 06:00

I am disappointed in my new XPS 8900.  I would like to have comparison scores only for my specific model so I can decide if I have a problem.  It is a Dell specific build designed to ship the day you order so should be common.  item 210-AFDM

XPS 8900, Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.7GHz, 8GB Ram, 64 bit system, Windows 7 Pro, 1TB, 7200 rpm sata 6GB/sec HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 730 with 2 GB dedicated graphics memory.

If you have exact same system I would like to have your Windows Experience Index (running Windows 7 Pro as delivered)

MINE ARE:

Processor - 7.5

Memory - 7.9

Graphics - 5.5

Gaming graphics - 6.8 (strange - higher than above)

Primary hard disk - 5.8

Overall score - 5.5 (uses lowest score for this)

Thanks - I believe something is wrong with this new system as delivered. These scores are low, in fact lower than my old XPS 8700..

I have added noting other than Firefox, Chrome and Avast Free.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 4th, 2016 06:00

Yes, we know you are disappointed. You posted about this 2 days ago already ( http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19666844 )and in numerous replies to other posts about the 8900.

Just return it.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 4th, 2016 07:00

Thanks - I am thinking about returning it but would really like to know if it is running as it is supposed to or if it has a problem.  I will keep it if it is up to specs but I cannot imagine it is.  All I want is for some exact comparison numbers.  I re-posted because I think there are a lot of folks with this same PC since it is one they have ready to be shipped next day.  Sorry this bothered you.

The only people who come here are those with problems. Those who are happy with their PCs don't post here. Human nature. You will not get accurate measure.

25 Posts

January 4th, 2016 07:00

Thanks - I am thinking about returning it but would really like to know if it is running as it is supposed to or if it has a problem.  I will keep it if it is up to specs but I cannot imagine it is.  All I want is for some exact comparison numbers.  I re-posted because I think there are a lot of folks with this same PC since it is one they have ready to be shipped next day.  Sorry this bothered you.

91 Posts

January 4th, 2016 08:00

I am disappointed in my new XPS 8900.  I would like to have comparison scores only for my specific model so I can decide if I have a problem.  It is a Dell specific build designed to ship the day you order so should be common.  item 210-AFDM

XPS 8900, Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.7GHz, 8GB Ram, 64 bit system, Windows 7 Pro, 1TB, 7200 rpm sata 6GB/sec HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 730 with 2 GB dedicated graphics memory.

If you have exact same system I would like to have your Windows Experience Index (running Windows 7 Pro as delivered

I've not tried Windows Experience Index (I'll have to go find it!). In any case, apples and oranges since my XPS 8900 has an i7-6700, 16 GB RAM and a different Nvidia card, too -- and arrived with Windows 10 installed.

Phil

25 Posts

January 4th, 2016 09:00

Phil - thanks.  It is hidden in windows 10 and somewhat convoluted way to get.  A guy has developed a program to mimic it.  You are right though, your system is beefier.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 4th, 2016 11:00

Look on the NVidia site to see if there's a newer video driver for your card and version of Windows.

91 Posts

January 4th, 2016 16:00

Phil - thanks.  It is hidden in windows 10 and somewhat convoluted way to get.  A guy has developed a program to mimic it.  You are right though, your system is beefier.

I found the mimic version, here: http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/how-to-check-windows-experience-index-in-windows-10.html or some mimic version. Beware: It will install added unwanted (by me!) software if you don't use Malwarebytes or some such.

Tested four Win 10 computers with it: XPS-8900; Inspiron 760; HP G4 laptop I was given and a 2011 MacBook Pro running Win 10 with Bootcamp. Order best to worst, and no surprise, was: XPS 8900; MacBook Pro (i7 CPU); Inspiron (dual-core Pentium); HP G4 (AMD CPU). Actually the HP G4 did better than expected and outscored the Inspiron in a couple of categories.

All got a 9.9 in Gaming Graphics, making me think that part of the "mimic" failed :emotion-1:

The MacBook Pro would make a great Windows 10 machine, but that its USB ports are all USB2

Phil

24 Posts

January 4th, 2016 18:00

What does the Windows Experience Index even mean?  I have a core 2 duo 6600 with a Geforce 240 computer that is 8 years old and the scores on Windows 7 (on a scale from 1.0 to 7.9) are:

Processor: 5.9

Memory: 5.9

Graphic: 6.8

Gaming Graphics: 6.8

HDD: 5.9

OVERALL: 5.9

I have an xps 6900 on order and I believe it will have 4 times better processing.  If the core 2 duo is already 5.9 out of 7.9 I don't know how to interpret these numbers.

I would rather use a 3rd party benchmark like cinebench, PCMark, 3DMark or CrystalDiskMark to do a more accurate comparison.

91 Posts

January 4th, 2016 19:00

What does the Windows Experience Index even mean?

Indeed!  I have one app which can run the 4-core/8-thread i7-6700 of my XPS 8900 at close to 100% in some situations, so for me CPU speed is all-important. My older Inspiron with a dual-core Pentium takes about 3x longer to do the same task. Runs even slower on my HP G4 laptop with an AMD A4 CPU, but not a lot slower.

Anyway, for me that's the key parameter and doing something in 10 min is sure lots better than taking 30 min; I couldn't care less about graphics performance, etc. And changing from an HDD to an 850 EVO SSD makes only a slight improvement on the in-process speed -- though the machine is clearly faster at booting, loading apps, etc.

Phil

25 Posts

January 5th, 2016 15:00

what results did you get for the XPS 8900?

10 Posts

December 12th, 2016 13:00

This is typical with Dell-  the 8900 doesn't cost much per say.  Having purchased systems for decades, a 'full, high-end system' is still going to run $3-4K.  XPS 8900 is a < $1500 system, and is excellent for what you pay.  You can replace the video card with something else.  If it will take it, I would also put 16GB in it.  And lastly, put max RAM in your box and then disable windows Virtual Memory.  Microsoft never figured out how to do it properly, and they end up swapping off of disk all the time-- invisible major performance hit.

1 Message

December 28th, 2016 21:00

I fixed my issue with EZ Game Booster, work great for boosting your scores. ezsystemrepairs.com/game-booster

110 Posts

December 29th, 2016 14:00

An Nvidia GT 730 is a pretty weak graphics card, so it's no surprise that you got a relatively low graphics score. While it is better than the onboard graphics of your CPU, it's not intended for serious gaming or graphics work. I'd suggest upgrading to at least a GTX 750 Ti if you want decent graphics scores and an acceptable gaming experience.

17 Posts

January 4th, 2017 13:00

I have a new XPS 8900 with the i7 processor and a 730 graphics card and my score is  5.5 for graphics and 5.9 for the 1 TB hard drive as well .

When i completely uninstalled the Nvidia graphics and used the Intel dedicated graphics instead my scores went up , now it's 7 for graphics and 7 for gaming graphics .

That Nvidia card is pathetic .

No Events found!