Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2014 13:00

Disc Tray Came Out, completely detached

I was installing my XPS when something very unusual happened. I must have inadvertently touched the button that opens the disc tray and so it opened, unknown to me. I then turned around and my knee brushed the open tray and completely knocked it out of tower. Only the tray came out. The drive itself seems fine.

I examined the now detached tray and it seems in perfect condition. There are no broken bits of plastic and I can see how the tray locks in to the tower. I cannot just insert the tray back into the opening because of the way it locks.The computer itself works perfectly and there are no indications of a problem.

Is it difficult to open up the tower and try to put the tray in myself or should I call for professional help?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 30th, 2014 14:00

Look up the service manual at Dell Support for instructions on how to access the tray.You should always mention your model name and number when posting. 

The manual will tell you how to open the case. It is not hard but you need to follow the safety instructions.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the reply.

I looked on the front of the tower and saw XPS and thought it was the model number. The actual model number is Vostro 3550.

I printed the appropriate pages from the manual and will give it a try.

No Events found!