Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2016 08:00

Display Port to HDMI

Dear Sir,

I would like to purchase DELL OPTIPLEX 3020 MICRO and it has only Display port. 

Actually, I want to connect it to TV. Therefore, I will use adapter to tranfer Display port to HDMI.

But I have question that

Will the audio signal carry with HDMI or not? 

Please help me to answer 

Thanks a lot 

1.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 09:00

I don't know about the 3020 micro, but I have used DP to HDMI before and it carries the audio to the TV

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 3rd, 2016 09:00

Only Display port + + has audio.  The port and Adapter must be Displayport ++

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 14:00

DP supports audio, although the spec doesn't require it (or even video, for that matter) - audio and video signals are optional.  (Audio is optional with HDMI, as well.)

DP to HDMI requires an active adapter, meaning it needs to be powered (power can be through DP).  If DP source (GPU) has an audio signal and active DP to HDMI adapter supports it (it should), then the HDMI should also have audio.

DP++, aka Dual mode DP detects whether DP or HDMI is connected downstream and switches accordingly.  This means only a passive adapter is required.  If your GPU supports DP++, then you should only need a passive DP to HDMI adapter.  DP++ should also support audio.

So, DP, DP++ and HDMI specs all support audio. 

One question is whether Dell implemented or hooked up the audio for the Optiplex 3020 Micro DP jack.  (I believe the integrated Intel HD 4400/4600 graphics chip supports it, though.)

The other question is whether the 3020 GPU supports DP or DP++.  DP needs an active adapter, DP++ a passive one.

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

March 4th, 2016 08:00

displayport.org has a guide document (PDF format) on DP Audio here.

On pages 3-5, they go over how to determine if a Windows device has DisplayPort audio.  Summarizing: go to Control Panel, Sound, Playback tab.  If a DP related entry with a monitor is shown, then it should support audio over DP.

I'd ask someone with a 3020 Micro and the processor you want (since graphics is integrated into the processor) to do and post the above as confirmation.  You could also order the 3020 Micro and return it if doesn't have audio over DP.

No Events found!