Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2011 10:00

Display not using entire screen on my New Dell XPS8300 with ATI 5670 and Dell ST2320L monitior

I just hooked up my XPS 8300 to my Dell ST2320L display. my XPS had the ATI 5670graphics card installed and everything looks good except that the display is not using the entire screen. It is like a 19" monitor inside a 23" screen. I checked the control panel display settings and windows has detected the correct monitor and defaulted to the highest display definition and I am using an HDMI cable. If I change the display to a lesser setting it just gets smaller.

I did windows update and checked the driver CD that came with the moniter?? Any suggestions? I love my new Dell, Just HATE the black border... I could have gotten a 19" monitor.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 5th, 2011 11:00

Recheck the monitor in Device Manager and try Update driver to get the right software and make sure it is seeing the correct model. Windows Display can see the correct model but it might be different in Device Mgr. I assume you have Windows 7.

Use the buttons on the monitor to adjust the screen size.There is a menu button also adjustment buttons near the On/Off button.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2011 12:00

I saw another post with the same problem but I can't find it.  But, since it's new, call Dell Support, there could be a hardware problem (with the Video card or the monitor).

4 Posts

May 5th, 2011 12:00

Thanks Mary. I will try that again tonight but I did not notice a way to strtch the vertical and horizontal display using the monitor menu buttons. I will look for them again.

Thanks

4 Posts

May 5th, 2011 13:00

Thanks fireberd, I just got off the phone with Dell rep. I'm not at home so I wrote down the instructions he gave me and will try them tonight. I will update the post if it works. :emotion-2:

1 Message

May 14th, 2011 08:00

Hi - did you have any luck? I'm having a similar problem with my ST2220 so would be grateful if you could share any advice if it worked!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 14th, 2011 09:00

Hi Shineyads,

This problem is almost always caused by (1) using an HDMI connection from your video card to the monitor, and (2) scaling the image to less than full screen. Go into your graphics properties, find scaling and adjust the slider accordingly.

Good luck!

4 Posts

May 14th, 2011 12:00

Hi Shiney, I was able to get it to stretch over the entire screen by going into my Catalyst Control Center (look in your programs folder) Go into scaling options and move the slider to 0% . If you are not using an ATI video card there should be an advanced control center for it as well.

-Thanks

May 25th, 2011 15:00

I have an ATI HD 5450 but I don't see any options for scaling in my Catalyst Control Center.

May 25th, 2011 15:00

where do you find "graphic properties? I have a ATI HD 5450.

May 25th, 2011 16:00

Never mind, I found it and it worked.

No Events found!