Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2008 06:00

Does an increase in CPU multiplier affect memory?

Hi,

I`m running a new CPU and new memory. I installed the memory (4*1gb corsain Twin X 1066) with my old processor and all was fine. The next day I installed a QX6850 and all was fine for over 2 days. The memory has EPP enabled so I enabled this option in the bios to get it running at 1066mhz.

Going into the third day I increase the CPu multiplier to give 3333 (not 2999). Straight away the machine was unstable and apps started to crash pretty much as soon as I logged into Vista. I change the CPU back to 3000 and unfortunately the application and/or service crashes continued and I started getting blue screens. One was something like "non-paged error in page area" or something like that.  I had a few memory related blue screens.

I ended up removing two of my new memory sticks and now the machine seems fine again? Maybe it is a coincedence but this only started happening after I upped the CPU multiplier by 1.

122 Posts

May 6th, 2008 12:00

Make sure all your RAM is the same speed setup (1066MHZ) and that your RAM can handle the OCd proc (proper timings). You probably may have hurt your Vista install and may have mad it unstable too.. Try system restore and then put in all your ram back.

14.4K Posts

May 6th, 2008 13:00

you cannot add more than 2 gigs untill you have vista fully updated with SP1. There are a couple of updates that needed to be installed to enable the use of more than 2 gigs but they are rolled up into sp1

70 Posts

Thanks for your response.
I tried a reinstall of Vista (32bit) with the memory all in the machine (all 4gb`s)and once Vista was installed the errors started appearing again. Only after removing two of the ram sticks did it stop (from slots 3 and 4)

I have since reinstalled Vista again and I`ll have a play later and if it still seems stable I will put the two ram sticks back in and see what happens.

I think the memory is at fault but unsure why it suddenly just happened after I changed the multiplier to 10 instead of 9. Hopefully it isn`t the mobo but I didn`t change the FSb frequency and doubt upping the multiplier would cause the mobo to through a wobbly.

122 Posts

Try just using the faulty RAM on slots 1 and 2 and boot up Vista. If that works then you can gradually put in the other 2 sticks (1 at a time).

Make sure your BIOS settings are at default too.

122 Posts

True however I dont think it would be generating those errors. It would just simply not display the full amount of ram right?

14.4K Posts

May 6th, 2008 14:00

normally it will not even boot but blue screen..

70 Posts

May 7th, 2008 10:00

Cheers guys,

Strangely I simply just reinstalled the extra 2GB of memory and so far everything has been fine. I even switched back to using Vista where the errors were occuring no longer occurs in that instance of Vista either.

So to summarise:

I was running Vista that had been installed since about October last year. I replaced my memory and processor and for 2 -3 days everything was fine. I think overlocked the qx6850 to 3.33 and straight away applications started crashing, services died and even trying to open a file caused an error. A blue screen occured related to memory management.

After this I changed the processor back to 3.0 and the errors still occured.

I installed Vista again and once installed the errors started occuring.

I took the drive with Vista on it out of the machine.

I then installed Vista again on another drive and the errors still occured once Vista was up and running.

I took out 2GB of memory and everything was fine.

I installed the memory back in again and everything was fine.

I put the other drive back in again and everything was fine.

Bear in mind at many stages I did a cold boot but it seems somehow the bios didn`t like the overclock I tried and set something wrongly. I even returned the bios to default values but that didn`t work. Only thing to sort this out was to remove 2GB of memory, use the machine and install the memory again.

I don`t think I`ll bother trying the OC again!

Message Edited by DarrenM343 on 05-07-2008 07:00 AM

552 Posts

May 7th, 2008 13:00

The problems that you seem to have been experiencing was narrowed down to the memory as you mentioned. It is quite possible, since you removed and reinstalled the memory, that the original memory install into the memory slots could have been the problem. It is possible to install memory and the connections in the slot not be made up and the memory will not operate properly. Removing the modules and reinserting them could make the connections and allow the memory to work properly. I have experienced this before. I also have purchased new memory and it be defective when I got it so whenever I install memory, whether new or used, I always run memtest on the memory to verify it is as it should be. This has saved me many hours of frustration. Hope this helps.

70 Posts

May 7th, 2008 14:00

Hi,

I will try memtest in case there is a problem with the memory.

I don`t think it is the memory or the installation of the memory. It worked fine for 2, nearly 3 days before I upped the CPU multipler. Only then did the problem occur, immediately after rebooting after the multiplier change. It`s as if the bios/cmos settings or something got itself into a strange straight after I changed the multiplier which only corrected itself after I removed and then reinstalled the memory.

I might try changing the multiplier again to see if the same thing occurs. 

122 Posts

May 7th, 2008 18:00

Try also just using the 2 faulty memories and boot up. If it works then you know those are good.

Memtest can be performed in Vista by hitting the F8 button when starting up. There should be a Windows Diagnostic option you can do.

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

May 7th, 2008 20:00

darren, what rig are you running?  did you mess with the voltages after you had the 3.33 multiplier in?  post up some specs if you can.

70 Posts

May 8th, 2008 07:00

Specs are as follows:

XPS 710 with 720 motherboard upgrade.
Vista 32bit
BFG 9800GX2 graphics card
4GB of Corsair EPP 1066mhz memory (TwinX) (I have enabled EPP in BIOS).
QX6800 processor
Orgiginal XPS710 cpu heatsink and fan
150GB raptor 10,000rpm disk
2 160GB drives running raid mirrored
1 400gb data drive
X-fi Extreme Music (Dell special - "D" card )

I never messed with the voltages. Changing the multiplier in the bios of the XPS720 results in automatic voltage adjustment.

As mentioned, the memory and CPU are new and ran fine for a few days before the attempted overclock to a 'safe' 3333mhz. I used the machine again yesterday evening for a few hours and it is still running brilliantly now. So I can confirm that all I did was remove two sticks of memory, run the machine like that and then reintalled the memory again. I did do other stuff (such as restoring bios to defaults) but it was definately the removal of the memory and refitting that fixed the problem. However, the memory isn`t at fault I don`t think, somehow the motherboard bios or cmos or something got into a straight state after upping the processor multiplier which was only fixed by removing the memory temporarily. Very strange!

I will probably try the overclock again and see what happens but I`m going to leave the machine as it is for at least a week. It was a pain to cure as I wasn`t sure if somehow the mahcine had a virus or disk problem etc. I tried multiple reinstalls of Vista but still had the problem until I simple removed the memory temporarily and now it is back in the machine again everything is good.

2 Intern

• 

597 Posts

May 8th, 2008 14:00

glad you got it worked out:)
No Events found!