Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2009 11:00

Drivers for my Driver Philips DVD-1 RW DVD 8701 need replacement

Can't find drivers for my Driver Philips DVD-1 RW DVD 8701 no matter where I look.  Can anyone help?

Dimension DM 051 

799 Posts

February 6th, 2009 13:00

The Device Manager has a yellow circle with ! inside.

Hello moemailusa, This is a known issue and can be resolved by instructions from Microsoft.

HERE  is a link to the Microsoft site that suggest information to resolve this issue.

The procedure involves a registry edit, so you must be careful when you edit the registry.

Hope this helps.

14.4K Posts

February 6th, 2009 11:00

There are no drivers or DVD/CD players. The drivers are built into the OS. The only thing one might find would be firmware updates which should always be used with caution.

What type or problem(s) are you having

9 Posts

February 6th, 2009 12:00

Thank you for your reply.

The Device Manager has a yellow circle with ! inside.  This is for both my cd drives.  The other one is a TSST corp DVD-Rom.  I callled Philips but they said they don't provide support and that it has to be through Dell.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2009 12:00

Also, I deleted the drivers and rebooted, but the same ones are reloaded.  Tryied reinstalling but still get the little yellow and ! display.

14.4K Posts

February 6th, 2009 13:00

have you recently done anything to the OS. reinstalled updated to SP3 etc.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2009 14:00

Yes, upgraded to SP3.  Thank you, I'll go visit microsoft.  Appreciate it.

9 Posts

February 6th, 2009 21:00

Dear Hanspupa:

Your advice was right on the money.  The microsoft website that you recommended did the job.  Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

799 Posts

February 7th, 2009 07:00

Dear Hanspupa: Your advice was right on the money.  The microsoft website that you recommended did the job.  Thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Hello moemailusa, That is really great news. I know first hand, the frustration this issue can cause, since I re-installed quite a few operating systems before I learned of this resolution.

As I understand it, this is, or can be caused by some third party CD\DVD burner software, especially Sonic.

I have repaired several systems using this method since, without a fresh re-install.

I appreciate your update as it will help others with this same issue.

Thanks again, Hanspuppa

9 Posts

February 7th, 2009 13:00

You're welcome.  I thought someone could benefit from the feedback.

Now, I hope I'm not abusing your generosity w/the nxt question.  In dealing w/ my husband's Dell Dimension 8200, we had to replace the hard drive.  It was under warranty, but we bought a new one because Seagate's shipping requirements raised the cost of shipping the broken one to them to about $50.  And we were going to get back a refurbished one. 

The deal is that the 8200 was originally an Me upgraded to XP with a disk from Dell created especially for this purpose.  The Me program is working fine, except that it hasn't uploaded drivers for the PCI ethernet controller, PCI input controller, PCI multimedia audio device and PCI network controller.  I get a code 28. The prep DVD for upgrade to XP instructs to upgrade the BIOS before installing the drivers but doesn't say how.  The bios had been upgraded by someone visiting us to AO3 2 yrs before the PC broke down.  I've searched on instructions for BIO upgrades w/no luck.  Have you come across such instructions?  According to the instructions, after upgrading the bios I need to install new drivers which are in the prep DVD.  Then install the XP.

I requested instructions for this in another section of this forum but have received no feedback yet.

Again, thanks a lot

Moe

PS I know it is time to upgrade to a newer PC but with the present economy .... Besides, he uses it to check the lotto, the horse race forms, his checking account and his email and nothing else.

799 Posts

February 7th, 2009 14:00

Hello moemailusa, First, I would upgrade the OS to XP and ditch ME all together.

ME was and is an OS that is known to have many issues.

You can go to the Dell site and enter the service tag number in the search box and locate the drivers and any BIOS updates for the 8200 system.

You can download and update the BIOS if it needs to be updated, with ME installed by using another computer to download the BIOS and then transfer it to the 8200 with ME installed.

Usually the BIOS is a setup.exe file so it will update automatically when you doubleclick on the file name.

HERE  is the Dell site location for the BIOS which shows A08.

You will need the non-packaged version that can be copied to a floppy disk for the install.

HERE  is the Dell site location for the drivers for your Dimension 8200 system.

I would go into the Control Panel, Hardware Devices, and determine the drivers you need by the yellow question marks by the devices.

Write these device model/numbers down and then download only those that you need.

Once you get the BIOS updated, you can then install XP. Windows XP is a far better OS than ME.

You can download and install the network drivers and then go to the Dell site and locate, download and install all the other drivers you may need for your 8200 system.

Hope this helps.

9 Posts

February 7th, 2009 16:00

Thank you, Hanspuppa.  Will do and report back for the benefit of others.

No Events found!