Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2012 20:00

Drives are disappearing.

I have an XPS9100. My configuration is Win7 Ultimate (64-bit), 9GB Ram, Core i7-930

WD 1TB hard drive on C (SATA Port 2): Contains OS and a few main programs (MS Office, etc.)

Seagate 1TB hard drive on X (SATA Port 3 as of today): Contains my data (My Docs, Outlook pst, etc.) and secondary programs (games)

Seagate 500GB hard drive on Y (SATE Port 4 as of today): Contains storage (secondary backup of photos, videos)

TSST DVD on D (SATA Port 0):

Media drive (no drive letter shown until something is plugged in.)

Today I started losing access to my X-drive. It just wasn't there in Windows. Since I first got the computer, over a year ago, whenever I ran the Dell Support Center diagnostic, the X-drive would disappear. A reboot would generally bring it back and I didn't address it when I had tech support because I thought, "Eh, I'll just never run that diagnostic." Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Today, a reboot did not bring it back the first 2 times (I checked the BIOS setup, and the drive appeared there, but it was not there after Windows startup, and did not show in Device Manager), then on the third reboot (panic in full force, and I ran the Dell Support center hardware diagnostic with no errors other then the X-drive not being there) it did appear normal after completely booting up, only to disappear after 10 minutes of inactivity (computer did not sleep, but maybe there was some background stuff going on??). I cracked the case, and swapped the SATA cables connecting drives X and Y, so that they were now on different ports (as seen above) and the cables were now different. Problem solved ...ish.

My computer was SLOWWWW. I had all sorts of issues trying to get any right-click functions to work. Clicking on Windows Explorer in the taskbar brought up the window almost immediately, but hitting Windows+E had a long (3 minutes+) delay. I ran Norton AV scanner. No issues found. Malwarebytes. No issues found. Ran Windows System File Checker  (SFC /verifyonly). No issues found.

Pretty much as soon as Norton was done, a warning pops up from the taskbar notification area from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app (which came installed on the system), telling me that Port 0 disconnected. Sure enough, no DVD drive in Windows Explorer. I opened Device Manager, scanned for new hardware, and the drive reappeared for about a minute before disappearing again. I tried scan for new hardware. No joy.

So, same day, two different SATA drives disappear. What is going on here? Hardware conflict? They don't use IRQs anymore, do they? Failing controller on the MOBO? Failing power supply?

BTW, the incredible slowdown of my computer (responses to right-clicks and Start Menu selections) seems to have abated. Maybe the system was stuck doing a lot in background to figure out what how to handle the switching of the ports or something. I'm just grasping at straws here.

1.9K Posts

January 14th, 2012 09:00

Osprey's offered some good suggestions.

It could be something board-based (ie: intermittently bad SATA controller, or a simple BIOS update needed).

Could also be one of the drives choking the others.

Obviously you could try booting/running the system with individual (non-system) drives disconnected from SATA/power if the problem is predictable enough.

ie: Trying running with Port 2 disabled/disconnected to verify function.  Rinse, repeat w/the other two ports.

It could be the board, or it could be any of the drives flaking out - even if diagnostics suggest they're all fine.

January 16th, 2012 09:00

Solid amber, briefly, at boot. Then it becomes solid white.

January 16th, 2012 09:00

I ran 32-bit diagnostic, and the offending drive twice failed then froze due to IRQ failure. I have since replaced the offending drive (the floods in Thailand have caused a drive shortage and prices are sky high--ouch). In limited hours of usage, there have been no further issues. Fingers crossed. RST is reinstalled. Dell Support Center runs without detaching any drives, and the new drive passes all tests. When transferring files from the old drive to the new, things were going swimmingly until I allowed a brief amount of idleness; then, some background process kicked in (I could hear drives spinning up/heads flying, whatever) and the drive detached. I shut down (to end the flow of power to the MOBO that seems to prevent the drive from reappearing in the bios on a simple restart) and restarted in SAFE MODE. From then on, it was all easy sailing.

January 16th, 2012 20:00

I just saw that my Hard Drive Activity Light flashes white. It has only been amber as far as I can remember. ANY documentation on THAT feature (which I assume indicates some type of issue with a hard drive), would have been useful.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2012 08:00

Sorry, I was referring to the power button. The hard drive activity light does not show different colors as far as I know.

January 23rd, 2012 21:00

My answer was in reference to the power button light. Thanks for all your help. I'm marking this thing as resolved, as the new hard drive seems to have set everything right. I find it interesting how the failing hard drive somehow caused seemingly unrelated symptoms.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 24th, 2012 16:00

Ok, good to hear. Yes, that's a strange one.

No Events found!