Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2012 09:00

Dual Boot Dell XPS 8300 with Raid0 using windows 7 and ubuntu

I have 2 x 1TB drives in my Dell XPS8300 which is configured in fakeraid.

I have attempted to install Ubuntu 12.04 but it messed up the boot loader. Ubuntu grub couldn't do it's thing because of the RAID configuration.

Questions for Dell:

1. If i boot up the machine and press CTRL I, i can remove the Raid Array. I appreciate this will delete all data and revert me back to two x 1TB hard drives, which is fine BUT will the dell reinstall partition remain in place?

2. Assuming the re-install partition does remain in place, can you confirm how I initiate this so it reinstalls my windows 7 onto one drive 'without raid config'

Do you have any opinion on whether it's best to share 1 drive with windows 7 and ubuntu and use the 2nd drive for storage? or would you suggest it's better to have windows 7 on one drive and ubuntu on the other?

Thanks in advance of any suggestions for this

regards

Justin

6.4K Posts

June 12th, 2012 12:00

When a RAID 0 is deleted, all data is made inaccessable - ALL data!  Each disk in a RAID 0 gets roughly half the bits of any and all data saved to the array.  When you reset the disks to non-RAID, the partition table and file allocation map all become unreadable and there is no longer any way to reclaim the data from either disk.  If you presently have a Dell restore partition on the array, it will not be accessable after the array has been deleted.

If I were you I would get a copy of one of the most recent imaging programs.  Acronis and Symantec both have programs of this type, but I understand there are also some programs available on the net for free.  Be careful, however, as the free software is of uneven quality.  Once you have the imaging program you can use it to dump an image of your current RAID to an external drive.  Acronis and also Symantec, I think, can adjust the partition size to match your back-up media provided the data on your present array does not already occupy the entire partition.  Once you have the image you can reset your drives to non-member disks and use them as individual disk drives.  Use the imaging program to dump the image back on to one of your hard drives, which should then be capable of receiving your second operating system.

Whether you place the second operating system on the same drive with Windows, or place it on a second drive, is purely a matter of personal preference.  How would you like to separate your data?  If on separate drives you have the remainder of each drive for the data from its resident operating system, but you can just as easily place both OSes onto the same drive and partition your second hard drive for the the data from each OS.  If you are attempting to figure out which configuration makes for easier recovery in the event of a failure, it is still a matter of rolling the dice to see which drive fails first.

I will say this much:  Your boot file will necessarily be on the first drive, so if that goes you will need to do some reconfiguring before the machine will boot to either OS.  If the second drive fails the computer should still boot to the OS on the first drive, so you have a chance of more easily recovered data.  If you think about it a bit you may discover some other characteristics that will help you with your decision.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2012 13:00

thankyou very much for an informative and prompt answer. Just what I needed to know and I appreciate your help.

6.4K Posts

June 13th, 2012 00:00

I'm very happy I could help.  Best of luck to you.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2012 01:00

sorry, one more question for you please. when i first bought the unit from dell last april, i installed all my programs and before using the system, i took a full back up using the dell backup software. i have two full backup dvd discs for restoring the system. if i boot with the disc, it offers a restore feature. if i delete the raid array and revert to the two seperate drives, do you reckon this restore disc will work or does it rely on the dell partition being in place? thanks for your help regards justin

6.4K Posts

June 13th, 2012 14:00

Making the back-up with the Dell DataSafe Local was a very good idea, but the version of the software that comes free with the computer is limited to restoring the image on a partition of the same size as the one from which it was made.  Since you have two 1 TB drives in RAID 0 you have a 2 TB volume.  In order to restore the Dell DataSafe image you would need to have a 2 TB drive.

If you can afford it, quite honestly I would consider purchasing two new hard drives to create your new configuration.  By labeling the original drives with the ports to which they are now attached you should be able to simply put the drives back into the system and have it work should you have trouble in the future.

No Events found!