Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2014 17:00

Dual Monitors w/ Dell XPS 8700

I would like to set up Dual Monitors. I have two Acer S220HQL monitors. They have VGA and DVI ports, no HDMI. Of course my XPS only has 1 DVI port so I bought a DVI to HDMI converter to attach to one of the monitors. When trying to connect via DVI and HDMI via the converter I get an error when the PC boots up Something about it not being connected directly into the Video card and that I might need a video card adapter. So I had to remove the one w/ the converter so that the PC would boot up. I have the AMD Radeon HD 7570 graphics card. I noticed that I only have that driver installed and not the Intel driver. I've downloaded but I'm unsure if that will solve this issue or not. Where did I go wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 4th, 2014 19:00

You should be able to connect both monitors to ports on the video card. It sounds like you may have used the onboard HDMI port instead of the HDMI port on the video card.

BTW: Did you get the right kind of converter? You said "DVI to HDMI converter". If you connect to HDMI on the PC side and DVI on the monitor side, you need a HDMI to DVI converter, unless the one you got accepts the input signal from either direction and puts out the other signal.

April 4th, 2014 20:00

Hi and thank you for the help :) I got AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters). I said it wrong in my original post. I plugged it into the port on the back of the PC. Was that wrong? 

April 5th, 2014 04:00

Nevermind, I found the problem. It's as you said I had it plugged into the wrong port. It's working flawlessly now. Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 5th, 2014 17:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!