Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2012 16:00

Dual Monitors

I installed a new video card into my Dell Optiplex gx270 tower and I am wondering how to get the second monitor to work that is plugged into the motherboard VGA port. I went to the BIOS menu and tried to turn it on, but the only option was to select the primary video setting. Can I get this to work or am I ordering a new video card with dual ports?

8 Posts

June 29th, 2012 03:00

Also, depending on which graphics card you have, some cards actually support TWO monitors out of one DVI port, which means you may be be able to get the 2nd monitor working using a cheap splitter cable. However you'd need to check your card specifically supports this first as I've found that only about half of the cards actually do.

It may mean you have to run one monitor off the DVI and another off VGA (not sure you can split a DVI into 2x DVI... I think most splitters are DVI to DVI + VGA.  If that's the case, run the lowest resolution screen off the VGA connector.

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

Hi there,

If you have attached an AGP video card, the integrated video chipset will be automatically disabled. As such, the only way to get dual monitors with this system is to install another AGP video card that can output to two monitors.

8 Posts

I've plugged my 2nd monitor into the second port on my graphics card (had to adapt it as I have one DVI and one DisplayPort). I'm sure there must be a way to enable the onboard card though, but this is perhaps done via a motherboard jumper switch rather than BIOS.  If there's definitely no bios option, try looking on the motherboard for a VGA related jumper. Presume there's nothing in the manual/quick start guide? :)

6 Posts

June 29th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for the help. I ended up buying a DVI to VGA adapter and running both monitors off the AGP card through the DVI port. It works really well

8 Posts

June 29th, 2012 07:00

Do you mean a splitter? How can can an adapter work if you only have one port?

6 Posts

June 29th, 2012 10:00

The agp card has a VGA port and a DVI port so I just used an adapter for the DVI port.

No Events found!