Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2008 07:00

E510 Won't boot to windows XP

My system gets hung up on the DELL screen.

When I click on F2 or F12 it doesn't work.

The screen displays: The Blue DELL logo, DELL DM051 Series, BIOS Revision A07 and the Intel logo. 

The hard drive symbol, 1 and 4 lights stay on once it cycles through all the lights (1 thru 4) but then the hard drive symbol light shuts off leaving only light numbers 1 and 4 on.

No beeps.

Can someone give me any ideas on what to do?

3.4K Posts

December 13th, 2008 07:00

Hello,

The 1 and 4 lights that you mention are not included in the diagnostics page for your system.

This usually suggests a motherboard or CPU problem. But you can start by unplugging the system ...

Unplug and reconnect every cable in the system.

Remove and then reseat every card that is installed.

Remove and replace all the memory.

When inside, I suggest that you use a can of computer grade commpressed air to completly clean out the system. Hold the fan blades while you spray then to prevent them from over spinning and killing the fan.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2008 19:00

Hi Darrell,

The 1 and 4 lights that you mention are not included in the diagnostics page for your system. Uh-oh

This usually suggests a motherboard or CPU problem. Uh-oh But you can start by unplugging the system ... Check

Unplug and reconnect every cable in the system. Check

Remove and then reseat every card that is installed. Check

Remove and replace all the memory. Check

When inside, I suggest that you use a can of computer grade commpressed air to completly clean out the system. Hold the fan blades while you spray then to prevent them from over spinning and killing the fan. Check

I even went as far as removing the processor and cmos battery. About the only change that took place is that now when I hit the F2 key the dell screen says entering setup...but it doesn't.

Please tell me i'm not gonna have to take it to the Best Buy Geek Squad. Do yoo have any other ideas?

-Luis

3.4K Posts

December 14th, 2008 06:00

Hello again,

Sorry, but that is your last option if you are still covered under the BB warranty. :emotion-9:

1 Message

December 20th, 2008 12:00

I am probably having the same problem with my E510.  I'm getting the same lights and when I see the DELL screen, the keyboard rarely works to enter setup, boot options or F5 for safe mode, etc.  In the 1/20 times it does succeed, I have about 30 seconds to play with it until it stops working.  What I've managed to do though, is change the boot order to CD/USB before the hard drive, so I can usually boot up a pen drive linux OS, which, strangely, works just fine(!).  I have updated to the same BIOS version but still get stuck when the completion bar just about reaches the end.  No beeps either.  I've tried unplugging everything I can get my hands on, checked RAM, etc.  It happened suddenly about a week ago and I hadn't installed any new hardware, drivers or software.

1 Message

January 5th, 2009 09:00

I have the exact same problem. Post lights 1 and 4 are on and the post bar stop at almost the end.  i an usually get it to boot one in 10 times.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2009 09:00

Sorry to hear about your problem. I was dealing with this problem on and off for over a year. I finally gave in and brought it to Best Buy and they have seen other E510s come in for defective MoBos. I gave up on my Dell and have since then bought new components to build a new system from scratch. No more Dells for me. I'm gonna sell it cheap for parts so let me know if your interested. Otherwise good luck.

No Events found!