Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2009 10:00

E521 Motherboard Replacement Options

Hey everyone, 

I have fried the motherboard of my E521 Desktop and would like to replace it.  I was wondering what my options are if i wanted to upgrade it.  I currently have 4 Gb Ram and AMD 64x2 5600 but will potentionally like to have more ram and a quad core processor. 

Are there any other motherboards i can put into my box that will allow me to upgrade when i am ready?

I believe it is a mBTX motherboard, but i cant seem to find an AMD mBTX anywhere

Thank you, 

Owen

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 13:00

OSnapple 

Unfortunately, the e521 has a Dell BTX motherboard with proprietary features, the only match for the e5xx BTX case would be a e520 motherboard, but this does not support Core 2 Quad processors.

Even if you can find a third party motherboard that would fit the e5xx BTX case, a new retail copy of windows would needed, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS.

A replacement e521 motherboard can be purchased from HERE, or from eBay HERE, you could also, call Dell Spare Parts HERE

Bev.

28 Posts

April 15th, 2009 13:00

Sorry for the late reply but this is wrong I think.

FACTS: Dell's OEM XP-pro is also working on my old P4 Headstart system. No Dell Bios in it.

15 Posts

June 19th, 2010 12:00

As far as what you already have: 5600+ and 4gb of ram; then that's the best you can go (with stock heat sink).

You can go up to the  89 watt 5800+, 6000+ and so on but, you will need a special aftermarket heatsink and fan.

There is one that fits the e521 motherboard and uses the stock hardware, the Noctua NH-U9B is what you'll need.

Me personally, I wouldn't see much of an improvement from what you already have. I'm basically running the same

specs and to upgrade anymore would be to go all the way with a quad core. The 531 motherboard can be a step up

but it too can't go quad core. There is no point. Keep what you got and then go all the way quad.

No Events found!