Fing
2 Iron

Re: E521 with bios 01.01.03 - should I try an upgrade to 01.01.05 AGAIN ?

This is sad... I've killed two motherboards with this, and some brain child at tech support sent me e-mail this morning inviting me to try again. (Like THAT's a good idea)

Using a bootable CD, it "said" the flash completed correctly, (It lied)

My 1 month old E-521 is now on it's third motherboard, Running Win-XP pro as the 1.0.3 bios seems to cause interesting problems with Vista for me at times. But at least it's usable and the sound actually works.

No floppy drive to use in taking the route y'all seem to be having some success with. And definitely no wish to go out a buy one just to use it once. I already have enough money invested in this system.
0 Kudos
Dario_NC
2 Bronze

@Fing wrote:
This is sad... I've killed two motherboards with this, and some brain child at tech support sent me e-mail this morning inviting me to try again. (Like THAT's a good idea)

Using a bootable CD, it "said" the flash completed correctly, (It lied)

My 1 month old E-521 is now on it's third motherboard, Running Win-XP pro as the 1.0.3 bios seems to cause interesting problems with Vista for me at times. But at least it's usable and the sound actually works.

No floppy drive to use in taking the route y'all seem to be having some success with. And definitely no wish to go out a buy one just to use it once. I already have enough money invested in this system.

I feel your pain. Adding insult to injury: I upgraded to 1.1.5 on a "proactive basis", seeing as it was so many USB issues.

Now running 1.1.5, USB set in BIOS to 'No Boot'. I have a couple external USB HDDs - if I leave one of them connected while booting the system (an old Seagate one), everything is OK. If I leave the LaCie one, now and then the computer gets stuck in POST (the progress bar under the Dell logo filled half way). Only solution is to remove the power cable, unplug the drive, plug the power again, power on.

It's looking like one of those things you have to live with . . .
0 Kudos
Fing
2 Iron

Still no response to my last email asking for clarification that they actually want me to attempt to destroy yet another motherboard with this "update". lol
0 Kudos
Fing
2 Iron

Well look at that... They have removed the 1.1.5 bios image from the updates page.

I wonder if they are gonna fix it and try again or just trash it and leave those of us who didn't get it to apply without the improvements.

[edit] Guess that answers my question of if they want me to try again or not.

Message Edited by Fing on 04-05-2007 05:20 PM
0 Kudos
mikecu
1 Copper

Right you are Fing. There is no longer an update  01.01.05. I'm still at 01.01.02 and still waiting for Dell to get it right. I was about ready to try the flash with a floppy drive that I would have to install (borrow from my wife's computer). Glad I didn't. My advice wait for the next one and hope it's right.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fing
2 Iron

Uh OH!!!!! Bios Version 1.1.8 available..... Hmmm.. what happened to 1.1.6 and 1.1.7?

Time to dig out the old floppy drive and hook it up.. Getting tired of swapping mobos.

HAHAHAHAHA....... DOH!
0 Kudos
Philip42h
2 Iron

Indeed ... what happened to 1.1.8?   Smiley Very Happy
Though it appears on the list of downloads, that actual file doesn't seem to be there!
0 Kudos