Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BJ

January 10th, 2000 01:00

ERRORS ALL OVER THE PLACE

I am having Run Time (error loading DLL) errors every place I go. It ask if I want to debug. If I click yes, I get a strange looking screen with 4 windows in it and I have not a clue what it wants me to do. If I click no, I can't get to where I want to link to. I have been fortunate to be able to use Dell Talk. I have several questions:

1. I am having the hard drive reformatted and Windows 98 OEM reinstalled by a professional technician. I downloaded the files 495cntl.exe and 495_W98.exe from the Audio file library onto floppy disks. Which of these files install my speaker drivers? Does both files need to be installed? Can the techinician use the floppy disk instead of the CD that came with my system?

2. I downloaded file WIN98V90.exe (Windows 98 WinModem V.90 Upgrade). Will this reinstall my modem? In the instructions for installation #2 states "Insert the System Updates For Windows 98 CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-Rom drive". As far as I know I don't have a Systems Update CD. Can it be mailed to me and is there any charge?

3. Internet Explorer 5.01 doesn't work at all and,(because of the errors) I can't get to the Microsoft Download page to reinstall it. Is there any other option available? I use AOL which uses the MSIE Browser, but I also want the "stand alone" MSIE Browser.

4. Since I am having so many problems, should I run the file XPS_A13.exe to flash the BIOS after the reformat and reinstallation?

I apologize for the length of this post, but I'm having serious problems that are preventing from enjoying my wonderful Dell.

Any and all help, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. If there are other files that I need to download to get things back to normal, please advise.

Thanks,
Billie J.
System Tag: GB5KQ

394 Posts

January 10th, 2000 01:00

Hi Billie,

I can only address questions 3 & 4, but I'm sure others have knowledge of your questions 1 & 2.

3. You will have IE4 installed as a result of your install of Windows 98--it's integrated into the operating system. Following your reinstallation of Windows, you should be able to download IE 5.01 from Microsoft, should you so desire. You will also need to get the updates for Win 98 First Edition, as well as the service pack. Get the service pack first, as it contains many of the updates, then work on the rest of the updates you feel will benefit you.

4. It's quite doubtful your difficulties were caused by your BIOS. I don't know what version your system shipped with to know if you should upgrade it for some reason, but none of the errors you had would have damaged the BIOS, so leave that alone. Flashing the BIOS is not always the safest of projects and maybe shouldn't be done unless new equipment more or less requires it. Some people do great flashing the BIOS, others not, so I wouldn't risk it unless needed.

Good luck,
Kay

You didn't specify which version of Windows 98 you will be installing, so I should specify that if you are running Win 98 First Edition, you will get IE 4. and will need to install the service pack and updates from Microsoft. If you are running Win 98 SE, you will have IE 5 integrated into the operating system, and can then download v. 5.01 from Microsoft, as well as updates to the browser. I do not know what OS updates apply to 98 SE, since I run First Edition, and see only those updates. End Edit

5 Posts

January 10th, 2000 17:00

Kay H wrote:
-
- Hi Billie,
-
- I can only address questions 3 & 4, but I'm sure
- others have knowledge of your questions 1 & 2.
-
- 3. You will have IE4 installed as a result of your
- install of Windows 98--it's integrated into the
- operating system. Following your reinstallation of
- Windows, you should be able to download IE 5.01 from
- Microsoft, should you so desire. You will also need
- to get the updates for Win 98 First Edition, as well
- as the service pack. Get the service pack first, as
- it contains many of the updates, then work on the
- rest of the updates you feel will benefit you.

- 4. It's quite doubtful your difficulties were
- caused by your BIOS. I don't know what version your
- system shipped with to know if you should upgrade it
- for some reason, but none of the errors you had
- would have damaged the BIOS, so leave that alone.
- Flashing the BIOS is not always the safest of
- projects and maybe shouldn't be done unless new
- equipment more or less requires it. Some people do
- great flashing the BIOS, others not, so I wouldn't
- risk it unless needed.
-
- Good luck,
- Kay
-
- You didn't specify which version of Windows 98 you
- will be installing, so I should specify that if you
- are running Win 98 First Edition, you will get IE 4.
- and will need to install the service pack and
- updates from Microsoft. If you are running Win 98
- SE, you will have IE 5 integrated into the operating
- system, and can then download v. 5.01 from
- Microsoft, as well as updates to the browser. I do
- not know what OS updates apply to 98 SE, since I run
- First Edition, and see only those updates. End
- Edit

Hello Kay,

I appreciate your help. Thanks for the quick response. Your answer to my questions were a relief. At least I will get a version of MSIE back and I really was reluctant to mess with the BIOS.

My system came with Windows 98 (v. 4.10.1998) which I assume is the First edition. The BIOS version is: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 dated 8/14/98. My system was built in September 98.

Have a good one,
Billie J.
System Tag: GB5KQ

394 Posts

January 10th, 2000 18:00

Hi Billie,

OK, you are running First Edition, so you will eventually need to get the Microsoft downloading done, for the service pack + updates, as well as IE 5.01.

I don't know when you are getting your reformatting job done, but since we don't yet have an answer for your first two questions, I took a look at the files you mention. You will need both the floppy disks you made for your speaker drivers, apparently. You downloaded a compressed file to your hard drive, and then extracted it to two floppy disks. Together they are your drivers and possibly some utility applications for your speakers, and you won't need a CD to install them. They will either install from the floppies, or, more probably, be copied into a folder on your reformatted hard drive and installed from there--that would be a choice for your technician to make, and I couldn't second-guess that.

On your modem driver upgrade, as nearly as I can tell, this is an upgrade to your original driver, so you may well need the original--the upgrade may have the full set of drivers, but it may not. That wasn't clear to me, unless it involves the System Updates CD they talked about in the file description (#2 instruction). I have never seen reference to this CD before, and I don't have one myself, so I don't know what that is or whether you should have it or not.

One thing I would do is to print the file description pages out for each of the downloaded files which you got, to give to the technician. Also be able to give him/her your Resource CD--it has some of your original drivers on it, and any other floppy disks or CDs which deal with your hardware--your sound card might have included a CD with drivers and utilities, for instance. If you can find your driver folder on the Resource CD, so that you can tell the technician where to look on there, that would be good. It would also be very good if you were able to specify exactly your equipment--that is, the manufacturer and model of your video card, audio card, and modem--Dell puts the drivers for all possible equipment to be installed into your system type, so it will be confusing to find the exact driver for your equipment. Windows provides some really basic drivers, but you will want the current ones really soon.

Normally, I download all the drivers I can ahead of time and bring them off onto floppy disks, zip disks, or CD's, so that I can avoid using the Resource CD. Large files would have to be re-zipped to span floppy disks, if you use this method.

Beyond that, you will need your Windows OS CD, plus its manual, because that's where your Product ID number is--it's on the front of that manual; I don't know how much reinstalling the technician will be doing for you, but if it gets as far as Word 97/Works, you will need the CD's for that, plus the big, white-covered Word/Works manual--the ID number for that is inside the cover, I think you'll find. You have to check both front and back cover.

I think that's about all I can tell you at this point, other than to wish you well--a reformat/reinstall will do wonders for the system--you'll wish you did it ages ago, if it's been causing you trouble.

Good luck with it,
Kay
No Events found!