Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2016 02:00

Enabling boot from USB for Dell XPS8900 (to reinstall windows10)

Hi

What are the BIOS settings to allow for booting from a Dell supplied USB recovery image? when i enabled legacy devices in BIOS (disabling UEFI) i saw the USB on boot device list, but when selecting it I got a message saying device failed. (or something to that effect)

Simply, i would like to reinstall the supplied windows 10 OS & set up the desktop again. A clean slate if you like. As mentioned Dell supplied me a USB with an OS image. However i cannot seem to boot from it.

Thanks

13 Posts

February 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi, I dont think the USB that was sent to me was formatted/prepared as a UEFI capable device. I used another/separate USB, formatted that using Diskpart.

Copied the content of the Dell USB to this new USB & then rebooted PC.

Pressed F2, recieved a menu with boot options & selected the new USB.

Windows installation was successful from then on.

I think the problem was the Dell supplied USB perhaps.

In terms of creating the UEFI capable USB, i followed... https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/ht076615

February 4th, 2016 04:00

Hi 5penace,
Please check if you are able to boot from USB on other system. Please go ahead and power off this system and when you power it on at the Dell logo, keep tapping the F2 key repeatedly for 3-4 times this will take you to the system set up.
Please click on add boot option and add USB in Boot sequence under general and let us know if able to see USB under boot options.

24 Posts

February 4th, 2016 05:00

Here is how I did it

After hitting F2 during the Dell Logo , I got into the bios.  I had to disable secure boot.  Then I enabled Legacy Boot.  Saved the changes, then restarted the computer and hit F12 during the Dell Logo.  Then it show the devices you can boot from.

13 Posts

February 6th, 2016 01:00

My last post on the matter....

On the good news front... this windows installation was by far one of the simplest i have ever done... Once installation was underway, i had very little interaction required.

Did not take much time either.

Last thought is ... wouldn't it be great if Microsoft stored more of the current settings etc. of the windows PC in the cloud, so that you could choose to let that be "deployed" or simply customize PC again from scratch.

Thanks for your input folks, i do appreciate it.

February 6th, 2016 07:00

5penace,
Glad to hear that issue is resolved. I appreciate your technical expertise. Do reach out to us if you have any issues or concerns.
-Pradeep

No Events found!