7- Thorium

Re: End of life ( EOL) Desktop Models

Jump to solution

Intel does not keep making the same parts, same chipset, etc for 50 years.

Plan on 5 year life cycle.

3 years general availability and 2 years extended max.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

ifiness
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dell does not keep tha t in a database.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ariturburu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Speedstep for the contribution, but I need the announced date of EOL of the Inspiron 530. It's for an internal audit work. I cannot rely on empiric laws, of course I have in mind the Moore's approach of tech cycles.

0 Kudos
ariturburu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks ifiness, I thought the same thing, but I chat with a sales person from Dell and he told me that he could not find out the EOL.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Having worked in several levels of Dell support for a few years (although no longer an employee), I can tell you that this is not something that is supplied to support personnel nor is it readily available internally to Dell employees.  I suspect a small panel of people in charge of developing drivers and firmware for systems sit down to analyze existing problems and decide as a group whether to keep developing fixes and upgrades for a system, and unless one of them are available to comment on the process and/or if there is an actual EOL "list" that is kept, we will never know.

We've had a few people ask over the years, but I still fail to see its importance.  What bearing can this possibly have on your audit?  I'm genuinely curious - I'm not nitpicking.

0 Kudos
ariturburu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dear THEFLASH1932,

The Audit of Information System's deals with several aspects of an organization.  In particular the process of buying computer equipment must meet the requirements defined for this purpose. If in an order to buy equipment a call to request need certain features, including the requirement that the requested item does not have EOL announced at the time of purchase, is as strong as if you demand certain quantity of ram and nor less  or certain  processor and not another. If the condition of not having EOL announcement is part of the requirements necessary to comply, the audit process must verify the compliance. Consulting the manufacturer itself should be as simple as asking how much memory or slots a equipment presents.  It's a way to protect your investment and maximize the durability of the equipment acquired. It is just for verifying the integrity of an offer, it does not deal with quolity or other aspect. In other type of equipments ( central switching) and in other brands also, the  EOL, EOS etc.. are presented as other feature of the proposal. Also you may have restrictions like not accepting refurbished equipment etc..  Hope to have satisfied your curiosity.

Yours sincerily, Alvaro

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Seems unnecessarily complicated - maybe to facilitate management and organization of assets/policies/procedures without an IT Manager?  Just glad I've not had to deal with this.  Good luck.

ariturburu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I agree with you,, but not all the organizations are by example ITIL V3 compliance or use some methodology that helps you to relie on procedures. Anyway.. the EOL it's just an attribute of an equipment.. as I told you.. many other brands.. use to publish that kind of data.  Thanks for your interest.. Alvaro

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Dell, HP, Apple and many other vendors routinely update models because they cannot depend on an unlimited infinite supply of chips and chipsets.   This is not Dell's issue.  If a model is close to 5 years old it is likely going to be discontinued soon.  The 530 is EOL and the 620 is the replacement.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos