Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2014 07:00

Enquiry re Dell Optiplex 745, 755 and 760 models

Hi Community,

We have a couple of Dell Optiplex desktop pcs including models 745, 755 & 760.

We are in the process of purchasing Windows 7 professional licence for all the above models and as per my pre-research i could not find any recommended Win 7 drivers from Dell Support for for these models.

Prior to purchasing them could you please confirm if Windows 7 will be ok with these pcs in respect of drivers and performance since i have read on various forums that they managed to install windows 7 successfully on such pcs. However, i will upgrade all the pcs from 2GB to 4GB Ram.

Looking forward to hearing from you asap.

Thank you.

Leo

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 10th, 2014 12:00

You might start by running the free Windows 7 upgrade advisor on your systems. And search these forums to see if anybody posted problems upgrading to Win 7 on any of these models.

At least for the 760, Dell offers Win 7 32- and 64-bit drivers so that model shouldn't have any problems upgrading.

EDITED- I can't spell today. :emotion-6:

5 Posts

February 11th, 2014 00:00

Can I send you the reports of the Win7 upgrade tool for your advice please?

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 11th, 2014 17:00

Post the results in this thread. I'm not an expert on Win 7 but if you post here, others will see the results and possibly have recommendations.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2014 02:00

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/6840.Optiplex-755.pdf:550:0]

Hi there,

I'm sending you herewith the report from Win7 Advisor for the 64bit we are interested.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2014 02:00

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/6787.Optiplex-745.pdf:550:0]

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 13th, 2014 11:00

Looks like you''ll have to wipe the 745 hard drives and do a clean Win 7 install, rather than an upgrade to Win 7. So back up everything first. And you'll need the installation disks and product keys for any other software you want to install. So check for those. If you don't have the product keys available, use the free Belarc Advisor to find them and print them out so they're available to reinstall.

More RAM would be good.

The only issue with the 745 seems to the SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio Driver. You  may be able to find a Win 7 driver on the  SoundMAX site.

I'm sure there's Skype software for Win 7 but you'll lose Outook Express.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 13th, 2014 11:00

Similar issues with the 755.

You'll need to look on the Intel site for the chipset, gigabit network driver, SOL and ME drivers for Win 7, none of which should be a problem, and at the SoundMax site for an audio driver.

Looks like you'll also need to purchase updated versions of some software if you intend to use them with Win 7.

Excellent guide for doing a clean Windows installation on Dell PCs here.

5 Posts

February 13th, 2014 22:00

Hi there,

thank you very much for your advices.

As per my understanding there is no problem if officially at Dell website for the relevant models you cannot find any recommended drivers because you can find them individually and directly each driver from the manufacturer's website (e.g intel,soundmax etc)

I will proceed with an installation for one pc as a test to foresee any issues.

Thanks again for your help.

10 Elder

• 

44.4K Posts

February 14th, 2014 11:00

You're welcome.

If you can't find a particular Win 7 driver for any of these systems, post a request in this thread and somebody over there may have a link for you. Be sure to read the very first post by VeejDeej in that thread so you provide all the info they'll need to search for the right driver.

Post back here and let us know how it goes...

And If I've helped, please mark this thread as solved.

No Events found!