Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

July 22nd, 2002 18:00

Error 8602 Auxiliary Device Failure

Hi. Name's Frank. I'm a Help Desk Agent with a big headache.

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX1 giving me an error I have never seen before. I did some research and know it's related to the Mouse and/or Keyboard. Though, I don't know what's wrong. I've got this PC set up on a 4-port switch, and the wires I use on the switch are brand new. I've tested them on about 20 Dells (Gx1 up to Gx240)
and they have never given me problems. Niether have my mouse and keyboard.
(Both keyboard and mouse are Dell)

Does anyone know what is wrong?

-=Frank=-

• 

16.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2002 12:00

frank_techie,

Thank you for using the DellTalk Forum.

Try another mouse on the system to see if that gets rid of the error.The 8602 is a mouse error.

1 Message

January 9th, 2003 20:00

Hi, I am having the same problems that Frank had with the switch.  When I change the mouse an KB, the PC still does not work.  I have tried with many switches already, and I got the same result. I have Dell servers connected to a switch, and they work fine. It seems to be a Dell Optiflex problem. Something related to impedances.  Is there any way to correct this problem?.

" Frank's . I've got this PC set up on a 4-port switch, and the wires I use on the switch are brand new. I've tested them on about 20 Dells (Gx1 up to Gx240)
(Both keyboard and mouse are Dell)"

DR.

Hi. Name's Frank. I'm a Help Desk Agent with a big headache.

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX1 giving me an error I have never seen before. I did some research and know it's related to the Mouse and/or Keyboard. Though, I don't know what's wrong. I've got this PC set up on a 4-port switch, and the wires I use on the switch are brand new. I've tested them on about 20 Dells (Gx1 up to Gx240)
(Both keyboard and mouse are Dell)

Does anyone know what is wrong?

-=Frank=-

1 Message

January 23rd, 2003 11:00

Greetings -

Same problem over here. Error 8602 Auxiliary Device Failure. I have Dell keyboard and mouse. However, I am not networked. Where do I go from here?

1 Message

February 2nd, 2003 17:00

This error is normally caused by the devices being plugged into the wrong ports, i.e. the mouse is plugged into the keyboard port and the keyboard is plugged into the mouse port, if your using a switcher you can see how this could easily happen.

-neorush

• 

16.7K Posts

February 6th, 2003 10:00

Frank_techie,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Try bypassing the switches and plug the mouse directly into the back of the machine to see if that works, If not, the port may be bad. If it does work you may want to check the switch.

1 Message

September 8th, 2003 20:00

Hi all,

I have the same problem, except that my keyboard works only in the bios. As soon as windows takes over, the keyboard stops working. can anyone please help with this problem. I have already read and tried the suggestions in the forum, but nothing works. Any new suggestions please. I am running an OptiPlex GX240. Please help. This is very frustrating.

Thanks.

1 Message

September 26th, 2003 11:00

Jesse L,

I am having the same problem on my Demension, and like lile Frank Techie, it started when I hooked a 4 port router to it.  I know that the keyboard and mouse are hooked up correctly.  Furthermore, I disagree that it is a bad port because that would be awefully co-incidental that both mine and Frans ports went bad when we hooked up routers.  Please advise.

Message Edited by Chris623 on 09-26-2003 07:57 AM

Message Edited by Chris623 on 09-26-2003 08:02 AM

1 Message

February 12th, 2004 16:00

Hi there,  saw your problem and i'm experiencing the same thing on a Dell inspiron 600m going through a switch and port replicator.  port replicator works with a mouse connected directly to it but not through the switch.   i just setup this laptop.  i have 2 of them with the same issue.

Has dell given you a solution to this problem?

2 Posts

February 16th, 2004 21:00

Hi i have a Dell Optiflex GX 110

2 Posts

February 16th, 2004 21:00

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX110 and im getting this error at the startup, Error 8602 Auxiliary Device Failure and neither my keyboard and mouse are responding at all, they just dont work.  Ive tried switching where there plugged in. but i cant do anything with a computer that the Keyboard and Mouse dont work... Is there anytihng i can do?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 16th, 2004 22:00

Try using a keyboard only and a USB instead of ps2 mouse.

If the error still comes up switch the port for the keyboard and then try again.

If it then works then you know what is the proper port for the keyboard and you can put back your ps2 mouse.

However keyboards or mice with shorted out cables will also give this error. Unfortunately when it gets shorted out it blows a fuse or trace on the motherboard and must be fixed before the mouse or keyboard port works again.

March 13th, 2004 19:00

I got this same error after connecting a 4 port kvm switch.  The Optiplex G260 has a dedicated USB keyboard, USB mouse and monitor.  The G260 has a dual video output.  The kvm switch is on the second monitor which is shared with three other computers.  Since there is no keyboard or mouse on the kvm swith for the Optilex G260 the video would not sync.  I believe the kvm switch needs to have the mouse input to determine the computer is turned on and pass the video.  Since I am using the USB mouse and keyboard I ran a second cable from the kvm mouse input to the G260 PS2 mouse connection.  Everything works as it should except that I get the error during the boot sequence.

Bob 

3 Posts

March 30th, 2004 13:00

Following on from the above post, I forgot to mention I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse is USB but I have fitted a PS/2 adapter.

Kind thanks,

JB.

3 Posts

March 30th, 2004 13:00

Hi there everyone,

I also have the problem above, albeit intermittently. I'm a home user and have two PCs networked (one DELL running winXP and one I built myself running linux). Both are connected via a 2-port belkin switch. My cabling is set up correctly. I only get the problem on the DELL dimension 8250, the Linux machine picks up both mouse and keyboard perfectly fine every time. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the DELL machine only. Maybe the bios???

I think DELL should look into this problem coz it's a pain in the neck. I thought I'd pinned the problem down: after switching on the linux machine first, the error didn't occur. But sometimes it does. Weird. I have also managed to use the DELL machine without the error occuring with no other machines switched on.

An answer would be greatly appreciated!

Kind thanks,

JB.

1 Message

April 20th, 2004 17:00

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX110 and im getting this error at the startup, Error 8602 Auxiliary Device Failure and neither my keyboard and mouse are responding at all, they just dont work.  Ive tried switching where there plugged in. but i cant do anything with a computer that the Keyboard and Mouse dont work... Is there anytihng i can do?
No Events found!