• 

274.2K Posts

March 16th, 2008 19:00

Expert advice needed on updates please

Demension 9200

Vista Prem.

BIOS 2.3.1

Hi,

I really need some expert help please. I have my system nearly a year now (bought on 17/4/07) and have never updated any drivers from the Dell Website. Click Here to see whats available for my system. From what I can see there have been several updates for my BIOS and 2 updates for SATA Drives which apply to me. (If you can see any others please let me know)

BIOS updates:

• 2.4.2  Recommended (* Supported Dell Media Card Reader with Integrated Bluetooth Module )
  • 2.5.0  Recommended (* OCUR Support.)
  • 2.5.1  Recommended (* new CPU Support)
  • Latest:  2.5.3  Urgent (Improved NIC Compatibility in Gigabit network environment.)
  1. Should I update my BIOS?
  2. Do I just install the latest update or should I update from oldest to newest?

Any advice on the SATA updates aswell please.

Current: Intel Matrix Storage Manager v6.2.0.2002

Updates:

1. 12/06/2007 Intel Matrix Storage Manager v.7.5.0.1017, A12  Recommended (Corrects compatibility issues seen with Intel Matrix Storage Manager under Vista.)
  2. 24/01/2008 Intel Matrix Storage Manager v.7.5.0.1017, A08  Recommended (Addresses storage related stability issues with Intel Matrix Storage Manager running on the Vista operating system.)

Thanks for any help.

Message Edited by Red Dawn on 03-16-2008 08:23 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hi Majestic,

Thanks for your quick reply.

@Majestic wrote:

it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I assume yours is.

I have a warranty until 2010. Does this change things?

@Majestic wrote:

If you decide to update the BIOS then you only need to install the latest version.  Since Dell BIOS updates are cumulative for your model, the latest version will have all the fixes and improvements found in the earlier versions.

The reason I wondered about this is because the release notes for the BIOS updates  2.4.2 - 2.5.1 contain the following: This file may include updates from a previous release. But this is not included in the release notes for version 2.5.3.

Do you know what these BIOS updates improve?
  • 2.5.0  Recommended (* OCUR Support.)
  • 2.5.1  Recommended (* new CPU Support)
Thanks for any help .
Message Edited by Red Dawn on 03-16-2008 08:59 PM

9.4K Posts

As for the BIOS..... if your present BIOS version is working good then there really isn't a reason to update it.  Since there is always a slight risk involved when updating the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine out of warranty which I assume yours is.  If you're having problems in which a BIOS update could correct or need a newer BIOS to support a hardware change then definately a BIOS update is in order.

If you decide to update the BIOS then you only need to install the latest version.  Since Dell BIOS updates are cumulative for your model, the latest version will have all the fixes and improvements found in the earlier versions.

As for the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, if it were my system I would do the update since they fix stability and compatibility issues between the hardware and the operating system. 

Message Edited by Majestic on 03-16-2008 03:28 PM

9.4K Posts

March 16th, 2008 20:00

"I have a warranty until 2010. Does this change things?"

About a year ago it was always my recommendation to keep the BIOS up-to-date on a system that was under warranty since Dell would cover the repair in the event the BIOS update failed.  Then earlier in 2007 there was a discussion in the forums here in which Dell did a little back pedaling when it came to warranty replacing the motherboard if the failed BIOS update wasn't done under the supervision of Dell Tech Support.  In other words if you took it upon yourself to update the BIOS and the update failed then you assumed the risk in doing so. Since that time I have seen additional discussions here in which folks had their motherboard warranty replaced even though the BIOS update wasn't done under the directions of tech support. At this point I don't know if Dell has changed their mind again or not.  So my advice is....  if you still wish to update the BIOS then call Dell Tech Support and have them walk you through the procedure.  That way if things go bad, you will be covered in any event.    

"The reason I wondered about this is because the release notes for the BIOS.... "

The BIOS updates for your model are cumulative regardless of what the file's download page may seem to indicate.  Only the latest version needs to be installed.

"OCUR Support"

Has to do with support for digital cable tuners.

"new CPU Support"

It's a good guess.  Dell very seldom will state what the processors are that are supported by a change.

Message Edited by Majestic on 03-16-2008 04:28 PM

9.4K Posts

You're more than welcome. I'm glad to be of help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Majestic,

Thanks so much for all your help, very much appreciated.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Majestic

Also, with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager updates, will they install over the old Storage Manager or do I need to uninstall?

9.4K Posts

@Red Dawn wrote:
Majestic

Also, with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager updates, will they install over the old Storage Manager or do I need to uninstall?

They will install over the old ones.

15 Posts

March 21st, 2008 14:00

Dell did a little back pedaling when it came to warranty replacing the motherboard if the failed BIOS update wasn't done under the supervision of Dell Tech Support. 

It would seem to me that if this were the case then Dell wouldn't offer the "self install" BIOS update in the first place. I can't see them dispatching 1000's of techies to look over one's shoulder for a 10 second bios flash.

And I've always looked at BIOS upgrades as critical whenever they come out. Because of the potential problems they can bring during install they really don't update them unless there's a bonifide reason.

No Events found!