Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2010 08:00

FSB

Hello all:

While checking spec's on my XPS 8000 i get a FSB of 133 mhz. When i go to other sites to inquire about this,it lists the FSB for this model @ 1333 mhz. Have I7 860 processor with 8 mb of RAM.

Can someone explain?

Thanks

14.4K Posts

April 18th, 2010 06:00

Your FSB would be 1333mhz. 133 went out with older systems. To check your suggest you get CPU-z

59 Posts

April 18th, 2010 09:00

well,that's one of the programs that i used to identify my fsb before i made my original post. It shows my fsb @ 132.9 mhz. It identifies my processor correctly and shows that it's running @ 2.80ghz.Core speed=2791 mhz, Multiplier x21,and QPI link =2392.8

Should i be concerned?

6.4K Posts

April 18th, 2010 10:00

The speed being reported by your system information application is the actual crystal controlled clock being fed to the circuits.  If you divide the CPU speed by the multiplier you report you will get 133 MHz.  According to the Dell specs, your model uses memory rated at either 1066 MHz or 1333 MHz.  This is not an actual clock speed, but an effective data transfer rate.  The actual clock being supplied depends on the workings of the memory controller in your computer's chipset.  At the very least you need to divide that rate by 2 because today's memory chips transfer data at least twice per clock cycle.  If twice per cycle is the actual rate being used by the memory you have, then the actual clock being supplied would be either 533 MHz or 667 MHz.

This thought process is more easily followed on the older computers that had simpler architectures, and I can't be specific for the modern machines as I gave up trying to follow the designs long ago.  I leave the details to you, and remember that Google is your friend in this sort of thing.

59 Posts

April 18th, 2010 11:00

Jack:

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess given the fact that the speed of my computer x the multiplier being reported comes out to 133 mhz,i guess i'll leave it at that.

Thanks again

Skrenze

No Events found!