Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2008 15:00

Factory Restore XPS 720 with Vista Issues

I hope someone can give some advice on the following?

I have used the factory restore many times without problems, however at the moment I can not achieve it.

I have done the normal F8 on start up, and choose "repair my computer" but it just boots back to the normal desktop.

The restore partition is intact, but this is what I believe has happened....

Recently I had a power outage which left my system unbootable. I ran the normal repair and vista went through the startup repair part, rebooted and all was fine. I think that the start up repair has wiped my MBR to a fresh state and therefore cannot located the restore partition when I try to run it.

So... my main question I guess is.. can the boot record be factory restored so it can run the factory restore, or am I missing something obvious when it comes to a carring out a factory restore?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

538 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 16:00

As long as the partition is still there you should be able to do it, but it's a bit trickier. Here's the steps you need to take:

1. Boot from your Vista disk

2. On the install screen, click on "Repair Your Computer" along the left side.

3. Open the command prompt

4. Type the following lines, pressing after each line.

path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32
      d:
      CD Tools
      PCRestore

Good Luck! :smileyhappy:

63 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 16:00

Thats great, one question though.

I have attempted this already, however could not "cd" from the X:\ drive which cmd was running from to my d:\

However I did not try the line

"path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32"

will this change the dir? and also my "pcrestore" file is found in "tools" not "pctools"  on my D;\ recover partion. should I ammend that part to read "Tools" for me not "cdtools"?

many thanks.

***EDIT 1***

I have just tried the line "path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32"

but the cmd line still stayed on x:\sources. I do not seem to be able to change dir. from x:\??

Message Edited by Nudimensionz on 10-22-2008 01:02 PM

538 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

Not being able to change from the X: prompt is not a good sign. Perhaps the boot sector and file table are corrupted. The best thing might be just to reinstall Windows using the disk. Make sure to reformat the drive first using the Mediadirect disk.

63 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 19:00

I read about the media direct disk, but I do not have one, nor could I find it on the website for drivers etc..

Would a reformat from the disk restore the "repair your computer " option?

many thanks

538 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 20:00

Yes it would, but you wouldn't have the factory image restore option.

Oh, and nevermind about media direct. I got confused. That is only used for laptops. :smileytongue:

63 Posts

October 22nd, 2008 21:00

Well I apriciate your help, but it guess my recovery is unusable now,

Unless anyone else has any thoughts?

Thanks again stefanrp97

14.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 21:00

You are wanting to do a factory restore not a repair correct.

If the procedure that is HERE will not work then you only other option will be a reinstall from the recovery disk.

Or you could try a repair reinstall by This Procedure  

No Events found!