Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2015 22:00

Farewell to XPS GEN3

Just want to say thanks to Dell for such a good machine, which served me well for 9 years. With addition of 8800 GT was able to play games up to Crysis, BF2 and FC2. GEN3 went through many power surges and PSU survived all those obstacles with ease! Survived with XP SP2 all the way...

So said.[:'(]

Thanks to all who helped me in past with all my needs.

P.S. My inspiron 570 in HAF 912 package still kicking strong with almost 10 TB in storage (mostly WD NAS HDDs and Intel 180 GB SSD), GTX660 and famous Phenom II X4 965BE oveclocked to 4 GHz .:emotion-60:

My next step for main PC is.... not Alienware..... Digital Storm!

My last words typing on GEN3 - THANKS DELL AGAIN

Kisianik

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2015 05:00

I have several GX620's from 2006 that are running 64 bit windows 8.1 just fine.

Bios A11 pentium D 915 3.5 gigs of ram Radeon 4670.

I did however buy myself an Inspiron 3847 Desktop.  Upgraded to 16 gigs of ram, Core I7 4790K,  Radeon 7750 intel 730 series SSD.

It didn't seem to come with ANY disks including Resource DVD.

The Drive rails are metal and seemed like they were welded in until i bent them inward slightly with pliers.  Should it have come with the 2nd set of rails? The other drive bay is empty but has no rails.

893 Posts

January 8th, 2015 18:00

Actually, my GEN3 expired due to PSU and motherboard failure - I had amber power light for a while until I disconnected some devices, my Sound card died (or motherboard PCI slot died) and so on. So if it was operational, I would be still using it.

I was wrong, I got this XPS at the end of 2004, so it was 10 years old, you have some more time to go to reach this age, LOL.

It is going to garbage now, as I type, minus HDDs and newer DVD RW, which I set up as external DVD RW (using old parts)

Thanks for sharing, SpeedStep.

P.S. I was considering Alienware, but did not like the case - too proprietary and airtight as all Dells - I experienced 35 C in my PC room last summer, so I was looking for upgradable case with good AIR vents.

No Events found!